Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2024, 06:26   #31

Boat: Hylas 54
Re: Change a Dripless Shaft Seal while in the Water?

Dive under the boat and stuff a towel in the stern tube..!
bluepearl54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 07:05   #32

Well I hope it worked out.

We were always able to do it in conjunction with a haul out except for one instance when it leaked post splash and had to haul again.

Our Volvo shaft seal was always a major pain as we always had to drop the rudder to get the shaft (sans prop) by it without stressing either the rudder and/or the shaft. Beneteau 440. Eventually, we found the shaft was slightly out of true by a mil or two which we assume contributed to the more than usual need for replacement. No doubt this anomaly had arisen from previous attempts to get the shaft by the rudder.

Once we had a yard do a machine "straightening" the need for replacement was much reduced. What with the need to drop the rudder, we never contemplated doing an in-water or 'on the beach" replacement! Lots of opportunities for rudder bearing inspections though!
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 08:28   #33

Boat: Leopard 38 Cat "Alesto 2"

I have changed these on a Leopard 38 catamaran several times, I have also changed the shaft 2X which includes removal of the cutlass bearing and shaft together. The seal is the easiest, you need to know that you can slide the shaft back about 4 inches, (prop and rudder could interfere) and the hard part is likely removing the shaft coupling. Once the coupling is off, sliding the old seal off and the new on is a 1 minute or less job, and only a few cups of water comes in as the cutlass bearing is normally quite tight. Follow Volvo directions and use the plastic protector when sliding over the splines. If you are scared of a large water flow, do a test by sliding your existing seal off for a minute. Want to use your old seal longer? Add Grease, and gently tighten a hose clamp on the last inch of the seal. I buy the seals from marinepartssource.com. Adding folding props greatly increased seal life.
leehaefele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 08:46   #34

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

When my stuffing box leaks, I just tighten it, by cramming myself over the engine or going upside down in the port locker. Why would I want to install a PSS Seal? What advantage would that be if I have to change it while in the water? That would be near impossible on this boat. At least I can fix the stuffing box, and the teflon packing repair parts are very small and inexpensive.

How long do PSS seals last? What are the advantages?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 09:15   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post

“I doubt there has ever been a boat that sank because someone tried to replace a shaft seal while still in the water.
My catamaran also has strut-supported cutlas bearings. My PSS shaft seals when off would allow more than 20 gallon per minute, including blowing all work tools and my engine away, hehe. Not to mention salt water everywhere in my engine compartment.

Great work OP !!!!
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 17:30   #36

Boat: KP 46

I changed mine a couple of months ago, (38 ft boat). I thought I would have a large influx of water but it was light and not a problem. Hardest part was getting the end of the shaft coupler off the shaft. Really it was not a problem changing it in the water. You do need to make sure your shaft will slide aft far enough to get the gear on.

Here are before and after shots.

M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a old.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	288778   Click image for larger version

Name:	a new.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	288779  

captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 17:41   #37

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I changed mine a couple of months ago, (38 ft boat). I thought I would have a large influx of water but it was light and not a problem. Hardest part was getting the end of the shaft coupler off the shaft. Really it was not a problem changing it in the water. You do need to make sure your shaft will slide aft far enough to get the gear on.

M
I use a steering wheel puller to pull the coupling. I bought it at an autoparts store for 10 bucks. Works like a charm
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 18:38   #38

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post

M

Why did you do it?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 18:53   #39

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Why did you do it?
Here is why. Bellows was starting to seperate:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a shaft log leak.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	288782  
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 00:18   #40

Boat: Hunter 380

Maybe they've sunk???
cram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 05:12   #41

Boat: Antares 44i

Well done, Carsten! Nice to see the crocs didn’t get you. We were slightly concerned when you told us what your intentions were while we were neighbors, but Banana Bay seemed an okay spot.

I wonder, is greasing the shaft seal a good idea? I’m guessing they’re made of rubber or neoprene. Petroleum products interact with rubber and cause it to become brittle (which is why one never greases impellers, for example), which could exacerbate leaking over time.

Mark
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 05:16   #42

Boat: Tartan 40

Any updates? I can’t imagine it’s that tough. Yes a decent amount of water will be coming in but it’s a stable situation provided you have room to work on it
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 05:16   #43

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarkS View Post
Well done, Carsten! Nice to see the crocs didn’t get you. We were slightly concerned when you told us what your intentions were while we were neighbors, but Banana Bay seemed an okay spot.

I wonder, is greasing the shaft seal a good idea? I’m guessing they’re made of rubber or neoprene. Petroleum products interact with rubber and cause it to become brittle (which is why one never greases impellers, for example), which could exacerbate leaking over time.

Mark
Mark

Volvo expressly says to grease the seal. Indeed the instructions say to regrease every couple of hundred hours.

I don’t claim to knowmuch about interaction of grease and rubber ( is it npr or some other type of rubber?). But if volvo says grease then i guess it it better to grease
Old 13-04-2024, 09:13   #44

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Any updates? I can’t imagine it’s that tough. Yes a decent amount of water will be coming in but it’s a stable situation provided you have room to work on it
If you look at the videos I posted you can see that the new seal was dry when we sea tested it. Since then we have sailed about 300nm to Panama City and now through the canal. No leaks.

so life is good again

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 13-04-2024, 09:35   #45

Boat: Hunter 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
Maybe they've sunk???
Apologies, can't delete.... my browser was only showing page 1 and not 2/3..... great work! I feel a little more comfortable doing mine, although I might use a tidal grid (which turns into a 16 hr day.....)
cram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shaft seal, water