Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2024, 12:12   #1

Boat: MAINE CAT 41
Composite Props?

Canvassing thoughts on composite props vs traditional steel, advantages and disadvantages. I anticipate replacing both props on my MaineCat 41 at the end of the 2024 summer season, in preparation for heading south full time. There doesn't seem to be much discussion "out there" so am curious what the cruising world consensus (if thats ever possible) might be.
soon2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 12:38   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Composite Props?

I had composite MaxProps that worked really well. They can be easily repaired. MaxProps stopped producing them, as the larger ones were apparently failing an issue that mine did not suffer probably due to their small size. I subsequently re-engined so I sold the on. The hubs were bronze so no real advantage re electrolysis.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 14:50   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2sail View Post
Canvassing thoughts on composite props vs traditional steel, advantages and disadvantages. I anticipate replacing both props on my MaineCat 41 at the end of the 2024 summer season, in preparation for heading south full time. There doesn't seem to be much discussion "out there" so am curious what the cruising world consensus (if thats ever possible) might be.
Kiwi props are composite. They are quite ok and would have got them but they couldn't deliver the size i needed due to being overpowered.
Flex-o-fold could so i went with them.
But know 2 boats they are having them and happy.
They where 1600 per prop and you can put standard antifouling on their blades as they are composite.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 15:21   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I’ve heard that they don’t last as long as bronze; cavitation and microscopic debris in the water wear them away faster.

There were fiber reinforced nylon props available that supposedly warped slightly to a flatter pitch at high loads so they got better fuel economy at lower loads but could still max out thrust at full power. That supplier has also gone out of business.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote