Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2024, 14:46   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Coopercoat on the hulls of my cat but what do i put on saildrives.

I have coopercoat on the hulls of my fibreglass cat but what do i put on the saildrives and props.

Saildrives are basically new Volvo 130S and i want to keep the original coating.
Sanded it slightly with 400 wet, cleaned and put the final coating of propspeed directly on without their primer (sure the props with primer).
The german propspeed importer told me i can do that.
Holds actually not to bad but only for 1 year but there should be stuff around that last 2-3 years.

Also important is a quick application double in max 2 days as i don't want to sand the whole hulls to reacrivate the coppercoat whichbis necessary after 3 days.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2024, 00:55   #2

Re: Coopercoat on the hulls of my cat but what do i put on saildrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
I have coopercoat on the hulls of my fibreglass cat but what do i put on the saildrives and props.

Saildrives are basically new Volvo 130S and i want to keep the original coating.
Sanded it slightly with 400 wet, cleaned and put the final coating of propspeed directly on without their primer (sure the props with primer).
The german propspeed importer told me i can do that.
Holds actually not to bad but only for 1 year but there should be stuff around that last 2-3 years.

Also important is a quick application double in max 2 days as i don't want to sand the whole hulls to reacrivate the coppercoat whichbis necessary after 3 days.
No one any suggestions?
Old 17-04-2024, 03:15   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

There are a variety of foul release products that are effectively copies of Prop Speed. None of them last very long, especially if you don’t turn your props much (unlike a powerboat). We just use regular antifoul on our stainless steel shafts and bronze propellers.

As for sail drive legs, which are essentially static (just like your hulls), apply a good primer meant for aluminium, then add as many coats of aluminium-safe anti-foul paint as you want. Generally 3 coats should be good for two years if a hard ablative.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 01:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
There are a variety of foul release products that are effectively copies of Prop Speed. None of them last very long, especially if you don’t turn your props much (unlike a powerboat). We just use regular antifoul on our stainless steel shafts and bronze propellers.

As for sail drive legs, which are essentially static (just like your hulls), apply a good primer meant for aluminium, then add as many coats of aluminium-safe anti-foul paint as you want. Generally 3 coats should be good for two years if a hard ablative.
I am looking for real world experiences.
What do boaters put on saildrive and prop with Coopercoat? Many boats with it but non tells me what they effectively use.
Problem is I need to be able to do it in 1-1.5 day as I don‘t want to sand both coppercoat hulls, so haulout and clean, reapply primer, dry, apply antifouling dry and haul in on next day.
Does trilux hold 3 years, can you do it in 1 day?
I regularly clean off the grime before barnicles start.

Tags
cooper, hull, sail, saildrive