Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 06:26   #1

Boat: 27 Catalina
Cutlas Bearing removel Catalina 27

I know this has been covered before but I had to ask. I have a 27 Cat. and I think the bearing is original. As a Mech. by trade I understand tools etc. I have taken a close look and it appears the the brass wall of the outer ring is incredibly thin. I have nipped at with a small chisel and I almost cant tell the difference between the strut and the bearing. My concern if I ran a hacksaw back & forth to cut a grove or two I get into the strut. Im not worried about integrity of the strut Im no going saw all the through but if it leaves a small grove between the rings that would allow for future corrosion? I think chipping at will take for ever. Like I said I cant quite tell the defining line between the two components. I know a book but thats my thought process. My wife says I talk to much. What does she know
gasngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cutlas Bearing removel Catalina 27

“... When making the cut for a set screw bend you do not need to cut all the way through the bearing but do cut evenly. You do however need to be about 98% of the way through ...
... If you do cut all the way through and score the inner surface of the strut it's not a huge deal, but, if you do this every time you change a cutlass it will get bad over time. ...”

From ➥ Replacing A Cutlass Bearing (Sleeve Bearing) Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:23   #3

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

We replaced cutlass bearings on 2 Capri 26's last summer- they would be very similar if not the same as yours. They were pretty difficult to get out, as they are pressfit. The brass is less than a 1/16" thick, but it will take a bit of hacksawing to get through it. I wouldn't worry about scarring the strut a bit, you can always fair it with epoxy.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:58   #4

Thanks for the input. I figured it would be a slow careful process. Gord you mention a set screw. I know set screws and to the best of my memory I did not see one on the strut. The weather and lack of free time have kept me away from the project but Ill take a close look. I dont think there is one.
Old 12-02-2014, 13:46   #5

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

There were no setscrews on the Capris.
Old 12-02-2014, 15:36   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
“... When making the cut for a set screw bend you do not need to cut all the way through the bearing but do cut evenly. You do however need to be about 98% of the way through ...
... If you do cut all the way through and score the inner surface of the strut it's not a huge deal, but, if you do this every time you change a cutlass it will get bad over time. ...”

From ➥ Replacing A Cutlass Bearing (Sleeve Bearing) Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Gord,
That is a pretty good How-to. The only advice I might differ on is that the hacksaw cut should be on top where there is the thickest metal. Of cours, be careful to barely cut through or maybe not even through. We were able to use threaded rod and fitted washers to effect a press to force the old bearing out and the new one in. I used a cylinder hone to clean the strut's bore.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 19:12   #7

All good advise. I thought about the Cyl. hone also. The weather this weekend will be good so that and the packing need to be done. Thanks Brad

Tags
catalina