Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2021, 06:23   #1

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37
Do I need to replace my cutlass bearing?

OK, I know I screwed up royally, so we can skip that part. On backing out of a somewhat tricky anchorage I ran over a dragging spinnaker sheet and wrapped it around the prop shaft. I cut it free, but didn't dive to remove it (yes, I'll do that next time), and motored quite some time with it wrapped. The net result is that the bearing shifted in the strut (see photos) and the diver tells me he can't force it back. Note that you can recognize some fibers poking out of the bearing on the prop side. To add insult to injury, this was my first outing after having the boat hauled out and the bearing replaced for a not insignificant cost.

I ran the engine under load in the slip for 15 minutes in both directions and the bearing didn't move.

My question: Do I need to replace the bearing, or is it safe to leave it as it is? Would it be enough to get a GoPro so I could easily check it after every outing? I would really appreciate some guidance here.

Thanks,
Tilo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5275055.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	242319   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5275059.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	242320  

Name:	P5275062.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	242321   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5275063.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	242322  

Name:	P5275064.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	242323  
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 07:17   #2

Boat: CT-47
Re: Do I need to replace my cutlass bearing?

Just leave it as it is until the next haul out…
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 08:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Yeah. No vibration, right? The shaft turns freely when the transmission is in neutral, right? You go not see any wobble, right? You've run it and the shaft log doesn't start smoking, right? Leave it until the next haulout or when one of the above is not "right," whichever happens first.
Old 19-07-2021, 10:09   #4

Nobody is going to be able to give you a definite answer without having some hands on inspection, so the answer is up to you, or an expert that you should hire to make that call.
IMO, if you have to ask, the answer is yes!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 10:12   #5

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37

Thanks for the input. Yes, it runs fine - no unusual vibration, noise or smoke. My concern is that the next scheduled haul-out will be in several years, since the bottom paint is brand new and the boat typically stays in the water till the bottom paint is depleted.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 10:19   #6

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

You can leave it until the next haulout but be aware that you may and I repeat may have to replace the shaft as well. A well equipt boatyard could replace that cutless in under two hours hanging in the slings.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 09:22   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Same old answers - do I do what seems like preventative or wait til symptoms show up? Only you decide which camp you are in. The rubber looks like it has extruded from the bronze casing un evenly. Out on top in the front and opposite in the aft. I bet the rope fibers are still in the center. They acted as a screw and pulled the rubber away from the casing.
When the rope fibers disintegrate it will get sloppy and likely score your shaft if it hasn’t already.
This rubber could screw itself out at anytime.
I vote for replace now. Then you are not always wondering and potentially creating a bigger (more expensive) job later.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 09:53   #8

It appears the rubber bearing has shifted from its brass casing, but only you would know how it looked prior to the incident. If that is the case then the rubber has become un-bonded, and it will continue to work its way out of the brass casing. I would haul and replace asap.
Old 20-07-2021, 16:06   #9

Boat: Dix 43 HD

Personally I would replace now for peace of mind and to avoid a failure at sea that comes with its own risk - because you know of Murphy's law right - whereby a failure will happen on Christmas eve on the first day of a two week long adventure with family onboard mainsail jammed and wind blowing you towards a reef.
Probably the above wont happen but it is a long time until you plan to haul again and you don't want it to turn into a bigger repair which is definitely a possibility
Good luck
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 16:19   #10

If you can get yr hands on the prop, try wigling it u.p and down. If it wiggles a fair amount it s time to replace the cut LESS bearing. Your cutless looks liek about 4 inch length with only 1/2 inch driven aft. I d let it go tiLl u haul out unless yr sailing to tasmania, etc. and buy a shaft shark line cutter so lines get cut before they drive your cutless out... shaft shark is a 2 pc cutter that can be installed easily as DIY after someone w a cutless bearing puller pulls out the old cutless. If yr lucky, you might be able to remove the old cutless by grabbing where the part of it is extruding aft with pliers etc.
kaisardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 17:33   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

It’s pretty clear that the rubber has pulled loose from the casing. I think your shaft will be damaged pretty soon if you don’t replace it.

While you’re at it add a line cutter. I had good luck with Spurs brand for almost thirty years.
Old 20-07-2021, 18:23   #12

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

From the photos ,I would guess the cutless is shot ,as it has started to delaminate ,would also not be surprised if the shaft is badly scored ,fix it now or later ,your call .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 18:38   #13

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks, but I see a good bundle of rope fibers in that last photo.

My boat? It would be getting changed now.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 18:53   #14

So much bad advice...

It is possible, maybe likely, that you bent the shaft (yes even if you don't notice a problem). The shifted bearing means that even if the shaft is still straight, it is not ALIGNED any more.

Your packing gland (or other kind of shaft seal) is at risk, as is the transmission rear seal and bearing.

Nobody who knows what they are doing can possibly tell you everything is OK looking at a picture. It MIGHT be... and it might be chewing up very expensive parts of your drive train.

So do you feel lucky, Punk?
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 03:13   #15

Hey Tilo, did you ever see the stern bearing at a previous haulout? Your vessel model often used a loose fitting, case-less soft fluted bearing like the one in this pic, very easy to change. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2626.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	242462
Pete.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote