Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2012, 05:21   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Dripless Shaft Dripping???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Assuming it is a PSS...

Too much boot pressure is not the answer. You want the correct amount of compression, and no more. (see instructions).
From the instructions
After adding the correct amount of compression if it leaks.

If so, add an additional 1⁄4” of compression to the seal and soon the mist should disappear. Keep adjusting until the spray or mist stops.

The instructions are here.

http://spursmarine.com/Images/pdf/PY...structions.pdf
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 08:25   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Assuming it is a PSS.................
If you have the NON irrigated version, that is no longer recommended, even for sailboats, then you may have forgotten to BURP it when re-launching after a haul. THIS IS A MUST!!! If you forget it, it will run dry and pit the rotor...............
Small technical addition, burping is NOT required if fitted like this (from PSS instructions):
Using a 3/8” (8 or 9 mm) ID “underwater rated” hose (not provided with the PSS), connect the hose to the hose barb fitting installed on the carbon and secure the hose with two (2) hose clamps. Run the hose to a point in the boat at least two (2) feet above the waterline, making sure that the hose does not apply any load on the carbon part of the seal. Keep the hose as close as possible to the centerline of the vessel so the top of the vent hose is never below the waterline, even if the boat heels. Secure the hose in place
with the necessary fittings that insure it will not pull free and drop. This hose is now a venting hose that will help ensure that no air is trapped in the seal.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 09:18   #18

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Regarding the above...

The "mist" I refer too was a poor choice of words, it is more the "evidence" of a mist... not an amount that can be seen or felt, nor does it leave water on the surrounding surfaces. What I am referring to is black specs on surfaces within 1', that are dry, and wipe right off. THIS is normal, and further tightening is not necessary.

Also, when I referred to "burping", I qualified it with "IF you have the the NON irrigated version". Burping is indeed not necessary with the irrigated version... (= engine water runs through it)

MANY aspects of living with one's engine, including the PSS seal's performance, work better with the use of a CV joint. With this, the thrust goes on the engine "beds" or a bulkhead, not the engine, transmission, or its feet. Also, the shaft doesn't shake with the engine, it only spins.

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	091_91_00.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	45791  
Old 30-08-2012, 14:57   #19

Quote:
Also, when I referred to "burping", I qualified it with "IF you have the the NON irrigated version". Burping is indeed not necessary with the irrigated version... (= engine water runs through it)............
Not quite correct, burping is NOT required if the seal is vented as described in my post above (and evidenced in the PSS instructions). This arrangement is distinctly different from an irrigated installation and does NOT have engine water (or any other water) running through it, yet it doesn't require burping.

Note that it only applies to the average yacht system (i.e. low speed - less than 12 knots) which is what the OP has been describing. Any higher speed installation require an irrigated solution.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-08-2012, 15:48   #20

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Not quite correct, burping is NOT required if the seal is vented as described in my post above (and evidenced in the PSS instructions). This arrangement is distinctly different from an irrigated installation and does NOT have engine water (or any other water) running through it, yet it doesn't require burping.

Note that it only applies to the average yacht system (i.e. low speed - less than 12 knots) which is what the OP has been describing. Any higher speed installation require an irrigated solution.
I see your point. I agree.

I thought you meant the version that irrigates the PSS and stern tube with excess cooling water, which came from the upturned loop that cools the exhaust.

I suppose that just "venting" the PSS to a point above the WL would do also, I just never heard of anyone doing it. Anyway, wouldn't need to burp that set up, as you say!

Actually having water "flow" into the PSS fitting, from the engine, however, offers a bit better lubrication to the rotor, and as it passes through the stern tube, it then cleans the cultass bearing's slits, keeps it lubricated, and increases its life. (That's IF one has a bearing on the outer end of the stern tube)... like I do. Otherwise, venting alone seems fine...

When I last talked to the PSS rep, (many years ago), he told me that they no longer recommend the non irrigated version, called the "low speed", (with no hose barb), regardless of the boat's speed or use. There was no discussion of just "venting" it...

Perhaps this is the latest thing?

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___16_19_57.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	45805  
Old 31-08-2012, 02:54   #21

Quote:
I suppose that just "venting" the PSS to a point above the WL would do also, I just never heard of anyone doing it. Anyway, wouldn't need to burp that set up, as you say!
You have just meet you first one

Quote:
Actually having water "flow" into the PSS fitting, from the engine, however, offers a bit better lubrication to the rotor, and as it passes through the stern tube, it then cleans the cultass bearing's slits, keeps it lubricated, and increases its life. (That's IF one has a bearing on the outer end of the stern tube)... like I do. Otherwise, venting alone seems fine...
Yep, I was going to go the "irrigated" way for such reasons but it all became too hard and more fittings and no space and yada yada and I finished up with a vent tube (KISS).

Quote:
When I last talked to the PSS rep, (many years ago), he told me that they no longer recommend the non irrigated version, called the "low speed", (with no hose barb), regardless of the boat's speed or use. There was no discussion of just "venting" it...

Perhaps this is the latest thing?
Yep, they now suggest irrigated for speeds over 12 knots and vented for "low speed". All PSS seals come with the barb these days...... hard to keep up with all the change in the world .
Old 19-09-2012, 22:20   #22

Boat: Pearson 323

Thank you all for your great advice. The problem was not enough compression. It's now tight and dry!
Old 20-09-2012, 01:11   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Glad it fixed the problem. Sometimes the inadequate compression is caused by the SS ring slipping forward. It's worth putting a couple of large hose clamps (or a thin propshaft zinc) in front of the SS ring. So it cannot slip.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 14:13   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

FWIW, I had a dripping dripless seal. The fore ceramic disk was cracked.

Not sure of mfg. but similar to PSS, although I was told it was not.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote