Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2018, 11:30   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Dripless shaft seal in cold climates, in-water storage

Is there anything I should worry about with newly installed dripless PYI bellow if i leave the boat in wet storage this winter? I plan to check on thinks multiple times per week but definitely wont be there every day. Ive been told water gets slushy but has not been freezing solid in recent years.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 12:50   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Dripless shaft seal in cold climates, in-water storage

We haven't had any difficulty with ours, through approx 9 years of wet winter storage over 13 years of ownership of this boat. I do run a de-icer when the marina starts to freeze up. And I don't know whether our experience is representative... and I'm also having a bit of brain fade just now over whether ours are PYI (PSS) or Tides...

-Chris
Old 20-09-2018, 07:29   #3

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

I keep my boat in Wickford where it get's brackish and does freeze solid sometimes. When I fitted a dripless seal i was concerned that, should it freeze, it would push the bellows away from the rotor. I called the manufacturer and they said that they didn't know of any issues but weren't very reassuring either; liability I assume.

So I bought a little terrarium heating pad (brand was Zila but I doubt it matters) which I lay across the stern tube when it gets really cold. I weigh it down so it makes good contact. It was cheap to buy and only draws 8 watts. With the stern tube a couple of feet below the water line it probably doesn't need anything but it makes me feel better. Two winters since I fitted the PSS seal and the boat was iced in solid last winter. No problems so far.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 10:07   #4

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
I keep my boat in Wickford where it get's brackish and does freeze solid sometimes. When I fitted a dripless seal i was concerned that, should it freeze, it would push the bellows away from the rotor. I called the manufacturer and they said that they didn't know of any issues but weren't very reassuring either; liability I assume.

So I bought a little terrarium heating pad (brand was Zila but I doubt it matters) which I lay across the stern tube when it gets really cold. I weigh it down so it makes good contact. It was cheap to buy and only draws 8 watts. With the stern tube a couple of feet below the water line it probably doesn't need anything but it makes me feel better. Two winters since I fitted the PSS seal and the boat was iced in solid last winter. No problems so far.
I am assuming wickford marina. They are very reasonable. If so, I might be joining you this winter.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 17:36   #5

Boat: Goderich 35 steel cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
Is there anything I should worry about with newly installed dripless PYI bellow if i leave the boat in wet storage this winter? I plan to check on thinks multiple times per week but definitely wont be there every day. Ive been told water gets slushy but has not been freezing solid in recent years.
Hi, i am contemplating putting in a dripless shaft seal next spring before launching.
I have a steel hull so the thought of my present system constantly dripping is a bit off putting even though i do have a catch basin underneath the shaft.
Im in Canada and it gets to minus 30 celcius or even minus 40 at times.
For 5 months minimum it is below freezing temperatures.
Obviously the water captive in the rubber boot will freeze but could you not simply undo the clamps and drain the water?
Also would the rubber simply not expand and accomodate the ice?
My thinking says there really should be no issue of damage but would love to hear from those in colder climes who have this situation.
Thanks.
Raggedglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 17:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedglory View Post
Hi, i am contemplating putting in a dripless shaft seal next spring before launching.
I have a steel hull so the thought of my present system constantly dripping is a bit off putting even though i do have a catch basin underneath the shaft.
Obviously the water captive in the rubber boot will freeze but could you not simply undo the clamps and drain the water?
My thinking says there really should be no issue of damage but would love to hear from those in colder climes who have this situation.
Thanks.
Oh, i am of course on the hard.
Old 05-10-2018, 18:34   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedglory View Post
Thanks.
Full time liveaboard in Mississauga with a Lasdrop seal.
I like to sleep at night so I keep a 700Watt heat lamp pointed at my seal. I have no desire to find out if it will get damaged without it.
Old 05-10-2018, 18:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Full time liveaboard in Mississauga with a Lasdrop seal.
I like to sleep at night so I keep a 700Watt heat lamp pointed at my seal. I have no desire to find out if it will get damaged without it.
Thanks but my boat is on the hard and i doubt the marina would appreciate the electrical bill to keep my seal toasty warm.
I think the rubber would expand without damage, i bet someone on this site will have an answer.

Tags
shaft seal, storage, water