Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2019, 06:41   #16

Boat: Catalina 350
Re: Dripless Shaft Seal Replacement Question

thankyou noelex 77 !! this explains the entire situation..
i will wait until the boat is hauled in Aug..and then replace with a new PSS The corroded SS clamp and raw water hose to the PSS have been replaced. I need to also put some rust mort on the drive coupling..or something. that water was slinging everywhere. I may try to put a modified Gatoraide bottle somehow to create a shield to prevent water slinging. To me, that is a consideration and why I was thinking of the old Packing Gland and Nut system... leaks very little all the time but doesn't fail all at once.
Old 30-06-2019, 08:28   #17

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I'm not so sure I would recommend the Volvo Shaft seal, unreservedly. I have found they seem to need replacing every three years. The PSS seals, if property fitted, should last considerably longer than that (10 years +) albeit at three times the cost or more. Either seal will ned replacing with the boat out of the water, but if done by a competent person, should be able to do in a turn of tide, so drying out against a harbour wall or on the beach is an option so long as the shaft is loosened from the drive coupling before hand so that as soon as the shaft is out of the water, it can be pushed back enough to swap the seals over. Just make sure you have the correct sizes and all the correct tools to hand. If all else fails and you don't get it done in one turn of tide, you can refit the the old seal to give you time to get the correct fittings if there turns out to be an issue. its how I've changed my last two Volvo seals.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 09:19   #18

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Almost anything can be done in the water... you just need to be fast. wrap the stern tube and prop with a big garbage bag and zip tie it tight.

The Lasdrop Gen II doesn't use bellows and you can preload additional friction rings so that when one wears out you can simply cut off the old one and slide a new one into place.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 09:35   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Almost anything can be done in the water... you just need to be fast. wrap the stern tube and prop with a big garbage bag and zip tie it tight.

The Lasdrop Gen II doesn't use bellows and you can preload additional friction rings so that when one wears out you can simply cut off the old one and slide a new one into place.
I was under the impression the PSS lasts pretty well forever,or at least a very long time. Its recommended to replace the bellows every 7 years.

I could be wrong on the forever bit, obviously how often you run the engine has a say in this.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:53   #20

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Our PSS seal was over 12 years old when we replaced it in the water last summer. It was in excellent condition, no cracking of the bellows, no leaks, no noticeable abnormal wear on the sealing surfaces. Decided to replace it due to its age and the fact that we had the tranny out for service.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:37   #21

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
I'm not so sure I would recommend the Volvo Shaft seal, unreservedly. I have found they seem to need replacing every three years.
I have to disagree on the Volvo longivity statement. My neighbour replaced his after 18 years just because he wanted to sleep without worrying although the seal had no problems. The Volvo I installed on my boat in the Med is now 7 years and doing great. Volvo recommanded replacement is every 5 years, but you know how manufacturers are. It is not their money, better be safe then getting sued, so if they estimate a 10 years life time they tell the customer to replace every 5 years. Follow the "burping instructions" and insert a bit if grease once a year is all that is needed to keep them in shape. Just my 2 cts.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, shaft seal