Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2014, 15:26   #31

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Drive Shaft Replaced

I can't see the engine end being a major source of misalignment from those photos. Clearly the scope of movement at the stern tube is very small, and for the engine to have moved far enough up and down to create the misalignment at the strut it would have exceeded the movement available at the stern tube. Also, from the photos the shaft appears to be reasonably well aligned in the stern tube.

Also, I was under the impression that you did not need so much space around a low speed sailing boat drive shaft for cooling water flow as you needed on a faster powerboat. I don't feel that the stern tube in the photos is too small at all, but this is a very uninformed opinion, just based on observations of boats on the hard around me.

Simply put, the strut tube that houses the cutless should point exactly at the centre of the stern tube.

Blind-Freddy can see that this one does not.

Matt
Old 13-07-2014, 16:16   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Simply put, the strut tube that houses the cutless should point exactly at the centre of the stern tube.

Matt
Agreed, I'd bet my left nut if a new Cutless bearing was fitted to the strut and a new shaft run through it, the prop shaft would hit well above the stern tube opening, the only reason I can see that the shaft is currently running through the stern tube is because the cutless is completely flogged out.....

If I was tackling this problem I would be starting with the stern tube/strut alignment first, it's just not right at all....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 19:08   #33

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I can't see the engine end being a major source of misalignment from those photos. Clearly the scope of movement at the stern tube is very small, and for the engine to have moved far enough up and down to create the misalignment at the strut it would have exceeded the movement available at the stern tube. Also, from the photos the shaft appears to be reasonably well aligned in the stern tube.

Also, I was under the impression that you did not need so much space around a low speed sailing boat drive shaft for cooling water flow as you needed on a faster powerboat. I don't feel that the stern tube in the photos is too small at all, but this is a very uninformed opinion, just based on observations of boats on the hard around me.

Matt
Got to start with the problem somewhere. I'd start on the engine end of the prop shaft first. You might want to start at the cutlass end first. Doesn't really matter. The whole thing has to be sorted out and everything has to be realigned. There is no way this prop shaft was installed properly unless the damage was done after she was put back in the water.
Old 13-07-2014, 19:19   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Got to start with the problem somewhere. I'd start on the engine end of the prop shaft first. You might want to start at the cutlass end first. Doesn't really matter. The whole thing has to be sorted out and everything has to be realigned. There is no way this prop shaft was installed properly unless the damage was done after she was put back in the water.
Good point, I guess I just go for the stuff that seem obvious first. I've never owned a boat with a strut for the prop, so I'd never thought about the vulnerability of the setup till I saw those photos.

And, whomever made the point about the sling made a really good point indeed. Not least of which if this is the case, it would alleviate some of the concerns about the workmanship.

Matt
Old 13-07-2014, 19:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert644 View Post
Cutless not cutlass. It 'cuts' 'less' than the old style apparently. Not that it matters....
It matters to me Thanks for that, I have been spelling it wrong all along, but I will plead the spell checker defense... OK, poor defence.... but still.

Matt
Old 13-07-2014, 20:03   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Andy - Is this the same boat you had last year? The Seidelmann? That shipped 100 gallons of water on board? That had the engine knocking noise?

With most of your threads being about fixing stuff it sounds like you are trying to dig your way out of boat ownership hell.

I am wondering if the engine mount/knocking problem is not related to the shaft problem. What did the mechanic actually say to you before, during and after relieving you of $3000? What did he actually do? Someone said it looks like the sterntube was relocated - Did this guy actually do that? It would have involved a pretty major cutting and fiberglassing job.

It would be useful to post more pictures of your engine in it's bay, and if you have any photos of the prop/hull etc. before the mechanic fixed it - that might be useful. Most members are trying to figure out how it got so far out of alignment but we are all just theorizing without access to the "whole" story.

You are in a tough spot with limited experience on boat systems and relying on the internet and some boat guy.

Maybe it's time to get some recommendations for a "good" boat mechanic in the Chesapeake area, close your eyes and open your wallet - I am sure there are many NE sailors here who can help you find a trustworthy & capable boat mechanic.

You may want to get it hauled and have a complete survey done. This boat seems to have a lot of issues.

Sorry if I am reading too much into this.

(social commentary regarding your boat fears thread - If this boat is your main experience with boats I think I can guess part of your fear problem - this boat keeps falling apart and I bet you are wondering how you can trust your life on it - I'm starting to wonder too.)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-105834.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-128144.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-126634.html

Ran Engine Without Cooling - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 20:57   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Anyone else see a similar pattern to his threads. Poses a question and then disappears.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 00:44   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Anyone else see a similar pattern to his threads. Poses a question and then disappears.
Speechless with gratitude for all the wonderful solutions of course, and has run off to implement them without delay.

Matt
Old 14-07-2014, 04:26   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Your jam nut is in the wrong position, it should be the first nut on.
Your shaft is too long, the distance between the strut and the propeller hub should be no more than one shaft diameter. These may not be critical issues but they do indicate that the quality of the workmanship is not up to par.