Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2022, 15:29   #1

Boat: Winga 78
Question Exchanging Gaskets of Propeller Shaft (Volvo 120S-D)

Hello everyone,

relatively new sailor here. I am trying to exchange the two face-to-face gaskets on my 120S-D Volvo propeller shaft since one had a rip and I was losing gear oil. My issue is that I can't get the old ones out...

The thing that's blocking me from taking the old ones out is this silver colored metal ring which I believe the bearings are running against. I tried as hard as I could to pull this metal ring out with my fingers and all the strength I could muster but no luck. Using steel tools to hammer it out from the other side seems like a really really bad idea... any ideas how to get it out without damaging anything?

Initially I didn't even realize that it was a separate part but I compared my photo to the photos in the 120S-D manual and it seems clear that this part should be removable (and there is no other possible way to exchange the gaskets since the diameter of the gaskets won't fit at all in there otherwise. (The gaskets have a metal ring inside of the rubber itself so they are not flexible at all).

Thank you for any advice you can give!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2022-06-28 at 12.23.40 AM.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	260159   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2022-06-28 at 12.23.16 AM.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	260160  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-28 002646.png
Views:	45
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	260161  
Reddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 11:35   #2

Re: Exchanging Gaskets of Propeller Shaft (Volvo 120S-D)

The shiny steel ring to which you refer is the outer race for the prop shaft bearing. Normally it is pressed out of the housing using a press and a special tool from the rear (oil seal) side. If you don’t have the special tool you can support the housing on a couple of pieces of wood and tap the race out carefully with a brass drift and a hammer. Behind the bearing race there will be one or two shims. The arrow in photo 3 is pointing to the shims. Save the shims as they have to go back upon reassembly.
Once the bearing race is removed the oil seals are easy to tap out of the housing, and also easy to tap in the new seals. Remember that the rear seal spring faces the water and the front seal spring faces the oil. After replacing the seals put the shims into the housing and press the bearing race back into the housing. Be sure the race goes all the way to the bottom of the recess and presses against the shims.

Replace the two “O” rings on the outside of the housing with new, lubricate the new oil seals with oil or grease and reassemble the whole thing. Put a little silicon or gasket sealer on the mating surface of the bearing carrier and the leg to keep water out of there, and don’t forget to grease the splines on the propshaft so it comes apart easy the next time.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, propeller, rope, volvo