Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2020, 23:03   #16

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Flexible coupling ID please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Was referencing the unit (with link to manual) and question, both posted by BoatYardDog. That Vetus unit/manual clearly show no use on V drives (in several languages). Many flexible couplings say the same thing for the reason posted. There may be some that are suitable, but the Vetus Combiflex is not one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
Vetus says otherwise. “Not Allowed” according to their product manual.
Look again. This is a type 6, not a combiflex. It says right on their website "Suitable for V-drives."

https://www.vetus.com/en/stern-gear-...ble-13753.html

The combiflex won't pass through the quill shaft of a V drive transmission so it can't even be fit to one.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 19:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Look again. This is a type 6, not a combiflex. It says right on their website "Suitable for V-drives."

The combiflex won't pass through the quill shaft of a V drive transmission so it can't even be fit to one.
Yours might be a type 6, but we have been discussing the one shown in the photo attached to the original post, which is a CombI-flex and which, as others have noted, is not recommended for V drives.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 20:47   #18

I found my dial gauge and rigged up a jig to measure the runout between the back side of the coupling and the propeller shaft. The jig is fixed to the shaft with zip ties and by rotating the shaft I Could measure the run out at 90, 180, 270 and any points in between. Turned out I was about .04mm out athwartships and about .25mm vertically. The dial gauge is about 60mm from the centreline of the shaft, so if my trig is correct, I have less than one degree of misalignment. Close enough I think😊😊
Here’s a pic of the jig if anybody wants to make one (for some reason I cannot get the photo to load right side up). The wood pies sere cut at 45 degrees then screwed together to make a vee that fits over the shaft. Attachment 215337
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8EC91426-24DC-4AF1-BE49-529F3DDCC9F3.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	215339  
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 07:25   #19

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
I found my dial gauge and rigged up a jig to measure the runout between the back side of the coupling and the propeller shaft. The jig is fixed to the shaft with zip ties and by rotating the shaft I Could measure the run out at 90, 180, 270 and any points in between. Turned out I was about .04mm out athwartships and about .25mm vertically. The dial gauge is about 60mm from the centreline of the shaft, so if my trig is correct, I have less than one degree of misalignment. Close enough I think����
Here’s a pic of the jig if anybody wants to make one (for some reason I cannot get the photo to load right side up). The wood pies sere cut at 45 degrees then screwed together to make a vee that fits over the shaft. Attachment 215337
Great, since that's the question you had.
The answer is the same with the other models, 6 and combi, no more than 2degrees.
Awesome job.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 07:32   #20

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post

The question was about alignment specs.
The 6and the combi have the same spec. 2 degrees.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease