Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 11:21   #1

Flexible coupling ID please

Does anybody know Who the manufacturer is of this coupling? I am trying to check the shaft alignment with the engine, but cannot find any information. The coupling itself is in two parts that are quite loose until fully tightened, and accordingly there does not appear to be any way to measure a gap between the forward face of the coupling and The back end of my gear box. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F2BD6A76-4983-487A-B5F6-7E6088A8EF2C.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	215063  
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 13:34   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Flexible coupling ID please

Measuring the gap is the easy way. A dial indicator is the best way for your set-up. Lacking that, you could make a pointer and measure the gap with a feeler gauge.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Measuring the gap is the easy way. A dial indicator is the best way for your set-up. Lacking that, you could make a pointer and measure the gap with a feeler gauge.
How and where do I measure “the gap”. If I loosen the bolts that secure the coupling to the gearbox, the coupling is loose on the prop shaft and the gap cannot be accurately measured because the coupling is loose and free to move in or out on the rubber bushings. If I tighten the coupling to gearbox bolts up, the gap disappears.
I don’t think a dial gauge helps either as so long as the shaft is straight and is secured at two points ie the gearbox and the cutless bearing, it will run true on a dial gauge regardless of whether it is properly aligned or not. However, if misaligned, there will be excessive side pressure on the gearbox shaft and seal and cutless bearing, and/or could eventually bend the shaft, all of which is what I’m trying to avoid. Anybody have any suggestions??
Old 14-05-2020, 18:04   #4

Boat: Nordic 44

The part that attaches to the shaft looks like my Vetus type 6 but the aluminum parts look very different. I would start with vetus.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 18:54   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

You don't measure any gap. You measure the run out of the prop shaft relative to the trans housing. You assume the trans output flange is straight.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 19:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
The part that attaches to the shaft looks like my Vetus type 6 but the aluminum parts look very different. I would start with vetus.
I think you’re right. Thanks. It looks like an older version of the Vetus 6 flexible coupling. Unfortunately, the only installation instructions are an exploded view of the coupling. No indication as to how much misalignment is permitted, nor how to measure it.
Old 14-05-2020, 20:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
You don't measure any gap. You measure the run out of the prop shaft relative to the trans housing. You assume the trans output flange is straight.
I think that with a flexible coupling there won’t be any runout between the transmission case and the coupling. However, I see what your thinking is and I think that if there is any misalignment, there will be some runout between the propeller shaft and the back side of the coupling and I should measure that with a dial gauge. Thanks. Now all I have to do is find a dial gauge😊😊
Old 16-05-2020, 09:06   #8

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
Does anybody know Who the manufacturer is of this coupling? I am trying to check the shaft alignment with the engine, but cannot find any information. The coupling itself is in two parts that are quite loose until fully tightened, and accordingly there does not appear to be any way to measure a gap between the forward face of the coupling and The back end of my gear box. Thanks.
It's a Vetus, flexible coupling.
No coupler face alignment required, how ever the max. Lateral misalignment spec is 2 degrees.
Not likely you'll use a dial indicator for this, perfect alignment would be a bit of a challenge, thus "flexible" coupling.
https://www.vetus.com/media/magentom...24161314_0.pdf
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 10:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
It's a Vetus, flexible coupling.
No coupler face alignment required, how ever the max. Lateral misalignment spec is 2 degrees.
Not likely you'll use a dial indicator for this, perfect alignment would be a bit of a challenge, thus "flexible" coupling.
https://www.vetus.com/media/magentom...24161314_0.pdf
SV Cloud Duster
Great, thanks. That’s just the info I was looking for 👍👍
Old 16-05-2020, 10:45   #10

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
Great, thanks. That’s just the info I was looking for 👍👍
As noted in the specs, 2 degrees mis alignment, they recommend just 1500 rpm.
At 4500 rpm 0 degrees, mis alignment.
In my thinking, most SV will encounter 1500 to 3000 RPM.
So, pretty darn close to spot on.
The spec for face to face hard coupler alignment is .003, not on the flexible couplers.
No V Drives though??
Hummm!
SV cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 18:30   #11

Quote:
As noted in the specs, 2 degrees mis alignment, they recommend just 1500 rpm.
At 4500 rpm 0 degrees, mis alignment.
In my thinking, most SV will encounter 1500 to 3000 RPM.
So, pretty darn close to spot on.
The spec for face to face hard coupler alignment is .003, not on the flexible couplers.
No V Drives though??
Hummm!
SV cloud Duster
My gearbox has an approximate 2:1 reduction so I think I should be able to use almost all of the 2 degrees.😊😊
Old 16-05-2020, 18:44   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
No V Drives though??
Hummm!....
I live with two V drives. The shaft passes through the drive and the shaft coupling is on the front. With the flexible couplings that means the prop pushing forward would put the unit in tension, and early failure. Same thing happens in reverse on most boats, I guess a short time under that condition is acceptable, but not long term.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 21:30   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I live with two V drives. The shaft passes through the drive and the shaft coupling is on the front. With the flexible couplings that means the prop pushing forward would put the unit in tension, and early failure. Same thing happens in reverse on most boats, I guess a short time under that condition is acceptable, but not long term.
I have had a Vetus type 6 coupling on a V drive transmission for about 15 years and at least 3500 hours. I have no idea what you are talking about.

The coupling is held to the transmission with four grade 8 bolts and the shaft floats on four rubber spacers held within the coupling. I bought four replacement rubber spacers when I bought the coupling and have never had to use them.

If you look at the design of the type 6 you will see that the direction of the thrust is irrelevant. That is why the type 6 is ideal for V drive transmissions.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 21:51   #14

Boat: Outremer 50S

Was referencing the unit (with link to manual) and question, both posted by BoatYardDog. That Vetus unit/manual clearly show no use on V drives (in several languages). Many flexible couplings say the same thing for the reason posted. There may be some that are suitable, but the Vetus Combiflex is not one of them.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 21:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
If you look at the design of the type 6 you will see that the direction of the thrust is irrelevant. That is why the type 6 is ideal for V drive transmissions.
Vetus says otherwise. “Not Allowed” according to their product manual.

Tags
lease