Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2022, 10:22   #1

Boat: Saga 43
Folding Prop

Hi Cruisers,

I think this will be a very simple question to answer!

My new boat has a folding prop. I've noticed that usually when I cut of the engine the prop doesn't fold (I can hear that the drive shaft still spinning). My solution is to put the transmission into reverse just before killing the engine.

Is this the normal procedure?
kellmic5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 10:51   #2

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: Folding Prop

Yes some props require you to put it in gearntoget it to fold/feather. You don't say which brand of prop, check in the manual.
Old 26-07-2022, 13:41   #3

It depends on your transmission.

If you have a typical mechanically shifted transmission, you can shift into reverse AFTER stopping the engine and that will stop the shaft spinning, and force the prop to fold.

If you have a hydraulically shifted transmission, then nothing you do with the shift lever after stopping the engine will have an effect, and the procedure you are using works, so keep doing it.

As already suggested, RTFM. Some folding prop manufacturers warn about the danger of back driving the engine if the boat gets moving very fast (surfing down a large wave, for example) and tell you what to do to avoid damage. I have never experienced this, but I’d hesitate to ignore the possibility.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 16:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellmic5 View Post
Hi Cruisers,

I think this will be a very simple question to answer!

My new boat has a folding prop. I've noticed that usually when I cut of the engine the prop doesn't fold (I can hear that the drive shaft still spinning). My solution is to put the transmission into reverse just before killing the engine.

Is this the normal procedure?

Reduce rpm to idle while still in gear...... shutdown the engine, still in gear then select neutral.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 11:42   #5

The procedure which you have described, engage reverse, kill engine, let prop fold and then engage neutral, is the only procedure that consistently works for me. This has been the case with both Borg Warner and ZF hydraulic gear boxes.

Bringing the engine to idle, forward gear and killing the engine doesn’t work well for me because the prop continues spinning forward as the gear disengages. Going to reverse before killing the engine causes the shaft to rotate in reverse, stop rotating, and then attempt to start rotating forward. During that momentary non-rotation time the blades fold.

The prop is a three blade Volvo folding prop.
DougR is online now   Reply With Quote