Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2018, 13:08   #16

Re: Folding vs feathering vs standard?

Thanks for all the contributions, lots of valuable comments! From the YM article I was more or less aware of the performance bonus, my concern is mostly about the maintenance/possibility to fail. However, I see the large number of users and little complains, I am less reluctant now to buy a boat with a folder/add a folding prop.
Old 31-01-2018, 14:08   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

As posted several times before:

The benefits of a non-fixed prop are greatest in the middle speed range. In light air and at low speeds, the greatest drag is generated by skin friction, and prop drag is a small factor. In strong winds and boat speeds approaching hull speed, wave making is by far the greatest drag contribution, and again the prop is a small factor. In the mid range is where the drag generated by the prop is a large contributor to total drag, and where the folder/featherer will be a big help. Considering that such conditions are quite common, the good prop can be a significant improvement in overall performance.

Jim
Old 31-01-2018, 14:30   #18

Early folding props were terrible. Feathering have great reverse thrust for stopping the boat. I hear some new design folders are pretty good. I've had 5 or 6 Max Prop feathering over the years with no issues and great performance.
One has to ask oneself though: do I sail when the wind is down a lot, or the boat moving only 3 knots, or do I just motor? The props are expensive and unless you sail in light air, it may be a wasted $3-4k. I know prior to Max Props I had a fixed 3 blade and never knew any difference. Your boat has plenty of wind power to drag a prop at... say.... 12 knots or more ... "You dont miss what you never had"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 14:46   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tom-
If you ask around a club, or wander through a storage yard, I think you'll find that sailboat props fall mainly into fixed 3-blade, on casual cruising boats. Folding props, usually two bladed, on folks who are doing casual or serious racing. And then very few feathering (variable) props since those are simply in another price and maintenance category, and few folks want to get involved with it.
At least, that's the practical breakdown as far as I have seen it.

Fixed, for budget or other KISS.
Folding, for some sailing performance.
Variable, when price is no object.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 16:36   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, for some cruisers, all the boat's performance is important, not just one wind range. Some of us will keep on sailing in quite light winds, Jim has a sort of game he plays with puffs and zephyrs, and we're always pleased when we can get the boat speed up over a knot. It really depends on how the individual sailor is with seeing how s/he can make the boat move in next to nothing. It is a game that requires patience, not my strongest suit.
Many cruisers don't care to play with Aeolus, we even see them motoring down wind in a breeze, at times. So, I guess if you find yourself among those who don't care, the fixed 3 blade will do you, but if you have a boat that is fun for you to sail, perhaps you will want to have a folder, instead.

Ann
Old 02-02-2018, 22:29   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post

Feathering prop:

- pitch is user adjustable, sometimes in the water
Always adjustable in the water.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote