Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2021, 04:27   #1

Gearbox dipstick broke and disappeared...

Hello,

I have a Volvo Penta Reverse gear MS2AE 30 873078 gearbox with a cone clutch. The plastic dipstick broke, and in my trying to remove it the end fell into the gearbox.

What do I do?

I had the new one ready, and was able to insert it, could feel no friction with the old one (which I could not see in the hole).

Cameron
camerondueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Gearbox dipstick broke and disappeared...

The real question is whether there is potential for damage to your tranny if you ignore it. From your description, it's a small bit of flexible plastic. It may be about to catch in a gear driven by many horsepower. Best bet is that it will get chewed to little pieces, without coming close to damaging a gear or a bearing. Alternatively, it may settle to the bottom and miss all the gears. I really don't see potential for its doing harm.

I'm reminded of a machanically inept friend who once asked me if there was any harm to his having dropped a nut into his car's manifold. Very different situation. He destroyed a valve and its seat.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:23   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2 (sold)

I'd have a look inside with a borescope. I found this one helpful when fishing wires through a contorted tube - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4

If the missing part is in an accessible position you could try to get a claw grabber on it. I used this tool to retrieve an allen wrench dropped into my binnacle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D24Q9BP
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:34   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

How a similar issue was resolved https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...se-256099.html
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:44   #5

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondueck View Post
[SIZE=3]Hello,

...Volvo Penta Reverse gear MS2AE 30 873078 gearbox with a cone clutch. The plastic dipstick broke, and in my trying to remove it the end fell into the gearbox.

What do I do?
I don't know the Volvo gearbox, but I did recover a Kanzaki (Yanmar) gearbox dipstick; that too is plastic but a substantial and hard bit of plastic. It was on a 2GM, or possibly 3GM motor and fairly straight forward - done before lunchtime:
Disconnect the shaft - pop the gearbox off the back of the motor - invert and shake around until the dipstick appears at the filler/dipstick hole - grab with fine nosed pliers and manouevre until it comes out - re-fit gearbox - reconnect shaft - check gear-change cable's properly adjusted - go for a beer paid for by whomever dropped it in there in the first place.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:03   #6

Boat: 41' yawl

If you are thinking about leaving it in there, compare how you feel about that with the sense of satisfaction this fella had:

Click image for larger version

Name:	straw.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	249465

That picture gives me goosebumps, LOL.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:08   #7

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondueck View Post
Hello,

...What do I do?...

Cameron
Nothing.

You don't even have to worry about it 'melting'....

(see https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...se-256099.html as suggested previously)

But it apparently drives most people crazy to leave it in there...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 16:30   #8

It will probably stay in the sump, so why worry.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 17:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
I don't know the Volvo gearbox, but I did recover a Kanzaki (Yanmar) gearbox dipstick; that too is plastic but a substantial and hard bit of plastic. It was on a 2GM, or possibly 3GM motor and fairly straight forward - done before lunchtime:
Disconnect the shaft - pop the gearbox off the back of the motor - invert and shake around until the dipstick appears at the filler/dipstick hole - grab with fine nosed pliers and manouevre until it comes out - re-fit gearbox - reconnect shaft - check gear-change cable's properly adjusted - go for a beer paid for by whomever dropped it in there in the first place.

I'm not sure if I'm up to that, given my limited mechanical skills, but at very least I'll pop open the access hatches and see what I can see...
camerondueck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, gearbox