Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2023, 09:37   #1

Hurth 150v model ID

Does anyone know how to identify the age and model year for the Hurth HBW 150V transmission. The engine (Westerbeke 21) and the v drive transmission are defiantly original. Mine is a 1983 sailboat and assume that the drive train is 1983 or perhaps 1982 just because of building time frames. I'm rebuilding this tranny as it's getting harder and harder to get into forward gear, the part sources are asking if the transmission is the early or late version so apparently there is a difference. I have tried all the tricks for shifting problems such as lever adjustment, faster engine speeds and new fluid. Shifting into reverse is never an issue just forward.
GeoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 14:41   #2

Re: Hurth 150v model ID

Hi Geobay, the ZF manual might give you a few clues but I can’t guarantee it. One indicator of era/ year of manufacture might be the major change with the output flange, I’ve never seen one where the output flange was secured by a big nut, .....only what I assume were the early model where I had to split the gear case and press apart the entire lower assembly to get to the seal and was surprised to see a thread on this forum about the user friendly version. And here’s a tip, when you get the mainshaft out, make sure you replace the two bronze faced thrust washers and either inspect or replace the big shock absorbing dished washers, often they go un noticed and un inspected in a rebuild.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 15:22   #3

Boat: None
Re: Hurth 150v model ID

On 6-30-2007 the input shaft spline length changed from 38mm to 54 mm. There were some internal gear changes.

However, the seal and clutch kits between the 'old' & 'New' units are pretty much the same except the new kits left out the 3 clutch torsion springs.

PM me and I will figure out a way to send you the manuals for both the old and new units.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurth, model