Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2010, 12:37   #1

Boat: albin nova -32
Is this Cutlass Bearing Toast ?

While changing my sailboat shaft seal, I had to pull the 25mm shaft back a few inches through the cutless bearing. A small 1/8" bit of rubber seemed to come back with it from one of the internal ribs. Otherwise the bearing has no loosness, the rubber firm, the shaft in good shape, no vibration, and all looks okay. I really don't want the work of dropping the rudder to get the shaft out and a new bearing in. Is a small piece of absent rubber going to have much effect or is this a sign of significant deterioration?
weighfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 12:42   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Like you said, no play, no looseness, no vibration, no worries.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 15:04   #3

How old is the bearing? If it's starting to come apart, you may want to bite the bullet and replace it before you splash your boat and have to pay for a haul-out later on.

If it's fairly new, like 5-6 years or less, leave it be.

Just my $.02.
Alan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 17:20   #4

Boat: albin nova -32
Thanks for the comments. I don't really know the age... newish to me boat but I doubt the bearing is very new. I forgot to splash water and soap into it when first moving it back so I hope it was just a small piece I pulled loose rather than significant deterioration. It looks and feels fine despite this problem. Unfortunately its about the 5th bullet I've bitten. Dropping the rudder / prop and changing the bearing are ones I'd like to avoid. Just hoping general experience indicates a cutless has some tolerance for less than perfect and won't fail suddenly.
weighfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 01:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weighfair View Post
I hope it was just a small piece I pulled loose rather than significant deterioration.
How small a piece is small? - Do you still have it ? Noted that it was 1/8th of an inch -- long ? wide?

If you still have it and you can look at it under a microscope - look to see if it is cracked all over. Indicating that it has dried out at some time for a period.

The Cutlass lands should be a smooth fit on the shaft - holding it central, while the grooves provide the water for lubrication and stop it drying out.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 23:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

If a bearing is worn its supporting area decreases and wear accelerates to a point where it can not support a water film. The heat from friction can in some makes cause the rubber lining to seperate from the carrier at failure. For a 25.40mm shaft we recomend bearing replacement when radial displacement reaches 0.635mm. You can measure this with the shaft at rest as the gap should be at the top of the bearing if all is in alignment.
4HMainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 17:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
I have an unused 25mm 40mm long bearing I'll sell for $50 if you are interested. We bought two, but only used one.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote