Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 14:14   #1

LasDrop Gen 2 shaft seal?

Hey all,

Looking at purchasing a LasDrop Gen 2 shaft seal. I hear good reviews about them.

My main concern would be the two solid brass hose barbs for the engine water intake. I have had nothing but problems with brass below the waterline. Has anyone ever had or heard of any issues with these hose barbs?

Thanks in advance!
whiteapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 14:58   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: LasDrop Gen 2 shaft seal?

mine hasn't had a problem, but doubt it is brass

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eal-97432.html
Old 02-06-2014, 15:01   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
mine hasn't had a problem, but doubt it is brass

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eal-97432.html
well I see on the cutsheet it does say it is solid brass, I would say if this was a problem they would have changed to something else by now (or from the beginning)
Old 02-06-2014, 18:31   #4

Thanks Sailorboy.

Yes, I read that thread as well. Good one.

Your right, with such a nice product I would think that if the brass was a weak link they would of changed it by now.

As of late I've been doing alot of research on shaft seal systems (so many!), and from reading various threads and reviews the Gen 2 seems to come out on top so far...
Old 03-06-2014, 05:23   #5

Also, I've heard of a fine mist or spray coming from a few face seals when using the engine. Do you know if this is also true of the Gen 2?

I would think that dripless means just that, dripless, and that units that do spray are not properly sized or connected.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:08   #6

Boat: Kaufman 47

I'm stuck between the Tides marine sureseal and the lasdrop gen II.. Need to make the decision soon.

I like the idea that I can have a spare or two lip seals on the shaft on the Tides. If one finally starts leaking you just take it out, cut it off and slide a new one in. Where as the Gen II you would have to take the shaft coupler off and (in my case slide the shaft out of the V-drive too) to replace the face seal. But what I have gathered from a fee days of solid research on the net is that the Lasdrop gen II is the bearing keeps the seal centered and the bellows has a much better construction (and I think a stainless steel spring? Or that may just be the Original they make....) both have good reviews. I know the sport fishing folks use the tides seal a lot with good results. So I'm leaning towards that one. A sailboat doesn't see half the rpms in a year that a sports fisher does.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 18:10   #7

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

I have no idea why folks are still buying these mechanical shaft seals when modern packing materials that require no drip are universally available. I have been using the black packing for about 15 years now with no drips. it is the stuff the Navy uses in submarines according to the guys here who supply it to them. Now available at your local chandlery. Why have something that can fail and cause all manner of problems when this stuff works great and could be fixed while afloat? I don't get it. Good marketing I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 06:37   #8

Boat: 1970 Pearson 33-1

Ray,

Sorry for bumping an old thread but your advice could be dangerous so I felt it important to comment. The "drip" of a traditional stuffing box has two purposes, 1) keep the whole thing cool, 2) let air out of the stern tube so that water can get in to do the cooling. Using the newer dripless materials in a traditional stuffing box, without adding an air vent to stuffing box is potentially dangerous. The dripless boxes all come with a port for venting, or pushing water into from the engine raw water pump.

refer to the 4/15/2005 entry on this blog for pictures..

Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Mike Cyr
Harpswell Maine
1970 P-33-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
I have no idea why folks are still buying these mechanical shaft seals when modern packing materials that require no drip are universally available. I have been using the black packing for about 15 years now with no drips. it is the stuff the Navy uses in submarines according to the guys here who supply it to them. Now available at your local chandlery. Why have something that can fail and cause all manner of problems when this stuff works great and could be fixed while afloat? I don't get it. Good marketing I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shaft seal