Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 15:10   #1

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Lewmar MAMBA auto pilot drive clutch

Quite unexpectedly my Mamba rotary drive (1/4" HP) clutch stopped engaging the motor with the assembly gearbox. The clutch is getting the 12V power when the auto pilot is turned to Auto and I can hear the motor running, trying to do the job, but the steering shaft isn't moving. The boat has a solid drive shaft steering all the way from the helm through the AP drive gear to the tiller shaft mechanism.

After quite few requests, got the Mamba drive blue prints from Lewmar and the parts list, it gives me a general idea on the assembly.

I wonder if anyone replaced (or repaired) the clutch of this assembly and if yes, if you can provide some hints on the procedure.

Hope the pictures can show this installation well enough.

Thanks!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	222504

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	222505
Old 28-01-2021, 06:58   #2

Re: Lewmar MAMBA auto pilot drive clutch

I am looking at an Island Packet with the Lewmar Mamba Drive system. How did you make out with the clutch? How do you find the Mamba drive system overall?

Regards,

Graham
ameliaalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 07:26   #3

I was unable to dismantle the drive and reach the clutch and as the drive was already 20 years old, Lewmar offered me a special discount for a complete new drive, which I accepted.

Overall, this is the best electrical drive for a shaft driven steering system, like I have (no cables, no quadrant, just a set of heavy duty gears as my rudder is quite huge. It worked perfectly well for all the years. Hydraulic drive may have some advantages, but basically more complicated if you really want a robust and reliable one.

Island Packet know what they're doing in quality boat building and design, so should work well for you.
Best of luck!
Old 20-09-2021, 19:14   #4

Boat: Hunter passage 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
I was unable to dismantle the drive and reach the clutch and as the drive was already 20 years old, Lewmar offered me a special discount for a complete new drive, which I accepted.

Overall, this is the best electrical drive for a shaft driven steering system, like I have (no cables, no quadrant, just a set of heavy duty gears as my rudder is quite huge. It worked perfectly well for all the years. Hydraulic drive may have some advantages, but basically more complicated if you really want a robust and reliable one.

Island Packet know what they're doing in quality boat building and design, so should work well for you.
Best of luck!
I have a 2002 hunter 456 with the mamba system also..was wondering what kind of discount..my unit has taken us 17 thousand flawless miles..but last season began to require a 10 min warm-up or it would give a overcurrent msg and go to standby..started cking out systems prior to heading to bahamas in November..now it makes a sound when I hit auto but wheel doesn turn.. Thinking I'm in need of repair or replacement...what was you symptom
discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 04:56   #5

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Following. We have a 24 volt motor. Love the system but it was very difficult to install. Can you take the motor apart and repair it? Parts? Any warning it had a problem?
Thank you. Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 06:25   #6

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Also following. I've thought that if I wanted to add a second redundant autopilot, if I could find one of the gearboxes with enough room, I could mount another motor to a different part of the steering system. Or would it be better to try to fit a different type of system as a backup, like a ram to the steering quadrant?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 08:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Following. We have a 24 volt motor. Love the system but it was very difficult to install. Can you take the motor apart and repair it? Parts? Any warning it had a problem?
Thank you. Mark
At least my experience was that the Mamba unit is very difficult to be taken apart (also warned by Lewmar about it), so eventually bought a new one, just to realise, the problem was with the autopilot control and not the Mamba drive.
Old 21-09-2021, 08:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Also following. I've thought that if I wanted to add a second redundant autopilot, if I could find one of the gearboxes with enough room, I could mount another motor to a different part of the steering system. Or would it be better to try to fit a different type of system as a backup, like a ram to the steering quadrant?
Yes, if you can get another gearbox with attachments to the drive and have the time for the mechanical installation, as the drive shaft may need modifications too, it can be a very nice backup. Just don’t operate the two at the same time 🙂
Old 21-09-2021, 09:27   #9

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Yes, if you can get another gearbox with attachments to the drive and have the time for the mechanical installation, as the drive shaft may need modifications too, it can be a very nice backup. Just don’t operate the two at the same time 🙂
Definitely something I'll want to look into if I'm ever preparing to leave "civilization". Thanks.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, lewmar