Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 04:23   #1

Looking to replace a propeller with an unusually long hub

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace an inboard propeller on a sailboat that looks like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13vq...ew?usp=sharing

I can't find anything like it anywhere. Anyone can give me any hints where to look for it, who makes them, or what it might be called? It has to be the same type of prop, because the shaft has been severely shortened (by previous owner) to fit this prop. A regular prop would no longer fit.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaFrog-brokenprop.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	218101  
markr307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 11:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Looking to replace a propeller with an unusually long hub

I would suggest sorting it out once and for all. Buy a new shaft and then your choice of prop opens right up.

Cost me £200 for a shaft when I changed to a volvo seal which would run on the area the old rope seal had worn.

How about a folding prop if the budget will stretch?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 11:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Have you had the prop off? Do you know that a regular prop won’t fit?
I bet one will, but will be much closer to the strut, which is what you want.
Prop over hang should not exceed the shaft diameter ideally, but you certainly can’t have a foot or more of overhang, which you will have if you try to keep the prop blades in the same place.

So you need a “regular’ prop that is right up close to the strut, and that puts it quite a ways from the rudder, but so what?

Looking closer I see your problem, if you fit a regular prop it’s diameter will have to be much less than the current one and that’s your real problem, if you can’t get a good three or maybe even four blade in there, your going to have to have another strut fitted.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 12:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Last thought, what’s wrong with this one? I’ve seen entire blades replaced before at a prop shop, amazing what can be repaired, have you had it to a good prop shop to see if it can be fixed? I bet it can.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 13:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Looking closer I see your problem, if you fit a regular prop it’s diameter will have to be much less than the current one and that’s your real problem, if you can’t get a good three or maybe even four blade in there, your going to have to have another strut fitted.
Yes exactly! It would be a prop of a much smaller diameter; and I don't know enough about props and engines to know which prop would fit the engine. The original prop was 2-blade, 12" diameter and 12 pitch. The current shaft length past the strut would probably accomodate an 9" diameter prop, with a standard-length hub. Is there a way to determine how many blades and what pitch it would have to be for a close enough replacement, if such a thing is feasible..?

As for repairing... both blades came clean off the hub, so they'd have to manufacture blades to attach.. and the prop is some kind of plastic composite. I don't know but doesn't seem a good candidate for repairing it.
markr307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 17:13   #6

Boat: Lancer 36

Call the good folks at PYI for advice on a MaxProp Easy replacement; the pitch is adjustable without having to disassemble the prop on that model. If you remove the hub, you can measure from the center of the shaft to the hull to get an idea of what diameter prop can be installed.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 20:09   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr307 View Post
I'm looking to replace an inboard propeller on a sailboat that looks like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13vq...ew?usp=sharing

I can't find anything like it anywhere. Anyone can give me any hints where to look for it, who makes them, or what it might be called?
We used to see a few of these props years ago and I installed some. I have this pic in my files, marked "Perfect Pitch props". I can't find anything online about that name though and it's been too long for me to remember more details about where they came from. Something in my brain says they came from Indigo Electronics (who do sell a bronze sailboat prop) but there is nothing on their website about these now. I suspect thay are out of production, whomever made them back in the day.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 21:18   #8

Quote:
Yes exactly! It would be a prop of a much smaller diameter; and I don't know enough about props and engines to know which prop would fit the engine. The original prop was 2-blade, 12" diameter and 12 pitch. The current shaft length past the strut would probably accomodate an 9" diameter prop, with a standard-length hub. Is there a way to determine how many blades and what pitch it would have to be for a close enough replacement, if such a thing is feasible..?
Try this propeller size/pitch calculator. Email them if you need more help.
https://www.vicprop.com/displacement_size.php
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 05:47   #9

Most folding props, such as Flexofold, Volvo, Gori, etc. have relatively long hubs where the blades are mounted and pivot aft of the prop nut position. Somewhat like the prop which you currently have. Something like this might work for you.

The problem which might occur is that there isnt enough clearance for the blades to fold closed without contacting the rudder....
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propeller, rope