Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2021, 08:20   #1

marine inboard diesel retrofit

Hello, I have a 22ft 1978 Abbott sailboat and it currently has an outboard engine. I would like to install a small inboard diesel engine in it. I know I will have to glass in an engine mount and all the required setup, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good websites/youtube videos that explains this process.
I watched the lady africa youtube videos of them installing their new saildrive engines and they were helpfull but there wasnt enough details given.
thanks
floater81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 09:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: marine inboard diesel retrofit

Ugh. Not going to be easy.

Consider going at it this way. Choose a motor. Ten horsepower will do. Get dimensional drawings of it. Make a cardboard engine. Choose a saildrive. Ditto. See if the whole thing is going to fit in the space behind your cockpit. Maybe even make a cardboard stern. Figure out where you are going to site the controls, tank, gauges, battery, etc. See how you will run the hoses/cables. See how you will build sufficient stringers for the engine mounts, and reinforce the bottom for the saildrive.

In the process keep track of weight distribution relative to the outboard. You do not want to find that you are 2 degrees stern down when you finish.

My bet is that somewhere in all this you will change your mind, and go sailing, but that should be your considered decision, not my saying "No Way." Who knows - your design may be worthy of a patent.
Old 31-03-2021, 09:43   #3

Re: marine inboard diesel retrofit

Great points, thanks for the reply.
floater81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, marine