Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2020, 18:00   #1

Max prop question

Last weekend I had my boat hauled to power wash the haul, replace the zinks and lube the prop. I realized after the boat was back in the water that I had forgotten to replace the plugs in the zerk fitting holes. Is this going to be a problem?
Tellico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 18:21   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: Max prop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellico View Post
Last weekend I had my boat hauled to power wash the haul, replace the zinks and lube the prop. I realized after the boat was back in the water that I had forgotten to replace the plugs in the zerk fitting holes. Is this going to be a problem?
Sorry to report that it IS a problem. The grease will flush out quite quickly without the plugs in those holes.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 19:16   #3

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Jump in the water and put them back in.
I’ve greased my max props, changed zincs, and even the pitch without tanks.
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 19:54   #4

Quote:

Sorry to derail your thread but I am considering buying a Max Prop when I put in a new engine and was wondering if you recommend them. It will end up costing almost half as much as the engine so I want to be sure it's worth it. My boat has a ton of drag above and below the waterline so i need all the help I can get 🙂
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 20:13   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

If your a long distance cruiser like I am yes. If your an island day hopper no. Another big safety reason to consider is that unlike a regular prop you’ve got almost as much power in reverse as forward. That means if you run up on something (reef, lost container, sand bar, etc) you have a much higher chance of getting off.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 15:18   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
You will want to relubricate the prop and replace the missing plugs. If you have run the motor in gear (and I assume you have) I guarantee that you have already lost a significant amount of grease.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 14:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrauer View Post
If your a long distance cruiser like I am yes. If your an island day hopper no. Another big safety reason to consider is that unlike a regular prop you’ve got almost as much power in reverse as forward. That means if you run up on something (reef, lost container, sand bar, etc) you have a much higher chance of getting off.
Ok thank you it definitely sounds worthwhile, then.
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote