Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 17:04   #1

MaxProp Ecowind

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the new Maxprop Ecowind. Any information on the best place to buy it and actual performance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
rabend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 14:48   #2

Boat: 45 ft aluminium sailboat
Ecowind

Hi,
I'm running a 45ft esterel45 named Camao. She is a relatively ligth disp -10T for an Aluminium hull with a carbon mast.
The engines is a D2-55 sail drive.
I moved from a 3blades Maxprop to the Ecowind to see how this maight improve the overall operations.
-No 'clong' when gearing
- good reverse
- better speed between 1500 to 2100Rpm as she has limited room for the prop'.
I did the job by Nov2009. These 3 goals are perfectly met.

Regarding the fuel consumption I have no flow meter. I dnt want to communicate on nice numbers as I have not yet set a clean measurement process. Let say , overall, I'm burning 3.6L/H at 6.7Knots (1600Rpm) with a clean hull.
Fitting the Ecowind is very easy as tuning the pitch as well. Far away from the Shiva style of work with previous MaxProp.

I got the prop from Fred Laffite PYI.

hope this help
Best regards
Gael

Best regards
Gael
gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 15:00   #3

Ecowind

Gael,

Thanks for your post. I didn't realize the Ecowind was available in 2009. I thought they just released it in the latter part of 2009. Do you find that your minimum speed at idle has increased with the Ecowind? Has ypur top speed improved?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 17-02-2011, 16:38   #4

Correction

Sorry, I am confusing matters more. I meant to say the latter part of 2010.

Bob
Old 18-02-2011, 02:06   #5

ecowind

Hi Bob,
Yes, the minimum speed at idle has increased with a smoth acceleration. This is a small issue when I need to motor below 3Kt in harbour. Not for docking. The reverse thrust is impressive and Camao goes straigth in reverse

For the top speed Fred Laffite asked the factory to modify the spring in order to be able to reach the 3000Rpm. Then we reached 11Kt -this is ridiculous- as we are burning fuel as crazy and the engine temperature is too hot for a long motoring.

best regards
Gael
Old 07-09-2011, 05:35   #6

Boat: Finngulf 41
Re: MaxProp Ecowind

Summer has gone. Any new practical experince on MaxProp Ecowind? Interesting propeller.
Jorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 15:21   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Just a question, but having gone though the choices of props recently and having gotten a 3 blade Flex-O-Fold;

If you have a saiboat how many years do you feel are going to be needed to save enough fuel using the Ecowind to make up for the extra $2000 cost over a Flex-O-Fold prop?
Old 08-09-2011, 13:14   #8

Don Lucas,

my interest on EcoWind is more practical/technical than economical. I have had problems with my Volvo 3 blade prop (poor reverse due to blades collapsing - too high pitch (18x16)).

The idea of automatic pitch control for optimal performance and possibility of adjusting it easily under water (fwd an reverse basic pitch) are quite appealing. Would like to know, if they work as claimed.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannula View Post
Don Lucas,

my interest on EcoWind is more practical/technical than economical. I have had problems with my Volvo 3 blade prop (poor reverse due to blades collapsing - too high pitch (18x16)).

The idea of automatic pitch control for optimal performance and possibility of adjusting it easily under water (fwd an reverse basic pitch) are quite appealing. Would like to know, if they work as claimed.
Hi Johannula,
I runned with this prop' for #300h now. So my reverse is very smooth and my boat start straigth. In fwd, running at 1700RPM, I have a cruising speed of 6.8Kt @3.4L/h (clean hull ect..,smooth sea...)

Two drawbacks:
+ The performances are VERY sensitive to the blades fouling.
+ When motoring aginst rougth sea and wind, the motor temp increases seriously and force me to slow down the RPM close to the limit for reasonable torque zone. All my motor cooling system is clean. I suspect to much pitch, even if I reach 3000RPM full speed.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:23   #10

Hi Gael,

thanks for sharing your experiences. You are one of the first to use the Ecowind propeller.

You report that the reverse "is smooth". How about thrust - about the same as forward?

You engine temperature problem sounds odd as the engine is hiting max rpm at full throttle. The pitch should decrease when you run into increased resistance (wind, waves).
Old 12-09-2011, 04:46   #11

Hi Johannula,
By smooth, I mean when you set the reverse there is no "schock" in the propeller, btw no stress in the engine damper, and Camao starts moving back slowly with a very strong thrust. ie really difficult to stop with the dock line in your hand and a turn on the boat mouring cleat.

For the temp' when motoring against sea/wind yes the pith decrease but could be not enougth. Going deeper, I should say there are two control loops in cascade : the propeller spring seting the pitch and the engine RPM regulator seting the fuel injection. To much fuel at low RPM could make this high temp.

hope this help.
rgds
gael

Ps which part of Finland are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannula View Post
Hi Gael,

thanks for sharing your experiences. You are one of the first to use the Ecowind propeller.

You report that the reverse "is smooth". How about thrust - about the same as forward?

You engine temperature problem sounds odd as the engine is hiting max rpm at full throttle. The pitch should decrease when you run into increased resistance (wind, waves).
Old 27-09-2011, 18:16   #12

Boat: too many

Will this prop still pitch for astern propulsion for setting the hook with some real grunt? Also, I'm sure it feathers if it was last used in ahead propulsion, but will it stay locked in astern propulsion if you power up with the sails? The reason I ask this is the old one would, and on an old boat I had I used this feature to charge batteries underway. Once charged, I'd fire up the diesel and push for forward, this would pitch for forward, then would feather, cut out all the noise and increase sailing speed after losing the drag.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 21:51   #13

Boat: too many

Answered my own question, if you shut down the engine in astern it will, like the older ones, stay pitched 180*, thus allowing charging while sailing. The owner's manual even now mentions the charging ability if you have your shaft set up for engine disconnect and gear up pulleys to an alternator.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 03:55   #14

Hi,
No very familiar with this way to run a MaxProp. So I have not much info's.
My prop is set on a saildrive. For the Ecowind, the procedure before stoping the engine is as the old MP. Reach 5 to 6 Kt speed before going to neutral and align the blades, stop the engine, then clutch the reverse to lock the prop.

You could contact Fred Laffitte in Seattle (flaffitte@pying.com) . He knows very well these prop.

Gael Clavé -F4DLW