Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 07:06   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Need source for sail drive prop shafts

I need to replace my prop shafts on two ZF SD10 sail drives. They are grooved where the seals come in contact with them. ZF and Nanni want me to buy new sail drive legs which can cost as much as $6000 each. This is crazy money since only the shafts are at issue.

Does anyone know an aftermarket source for them? At this point I would even consider used if they are in good shape.

Thanks
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:54   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Need source for sail drive prop shafts

Someone on eBay has complete units probably make you a deal, can you smooth the groove down a bit with Emory cloth? Or maybe. Machine shop can grind it then sleeve it? Also it's common on the smaller drives to use a spacer washer type disc to move the seal contact area just a bit to counter this on the outer seal

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thanks. I have seen those and may make an offer after asking some questions but since I will be throwing the rest of it away, it's not best option if I can find just the shaft.
Old 14-07-2016, 14:54   #4

You might want to explore the use of the SKF " speedy sleeve" to refurbish the seal surface of the shaft. Information of the use of these sleeves on Volvo saildrives has been posted on the CF before.

The concept is that a very thin stainless steel sleeve is pressed on the shaft in the area where the seal rides, presenting a new wear surface for the seal to ride on. In the case of the Volvo drive, the shaft seal surface is 1.250" (31.75mm) and speedi sleeve # 99125 is used.

A wide assortment of sleeve diameters are available, and you might find one to fit the ZF drive.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 15:08   #5

They can also be repaired by hard chroming and re-machining to original spec.

"Hard Chrome plating is an electrolytic method of depositing Chrome for engineering applications, from a Chromic acid solution.
Deposits can be applied from .25 - 1,000 microns thickness for a wide range of applications. The thinner deposits being used to substantially increase the life of components in wear applications or corrosive environments, and the thicker deposits being used for salvage and repair of worn, damaged or mis-machined components.
Hard Chrome is classed as a "COLD" process, the operating temperature of 50 - 60°C ensures no detrimental effects to the physical or mechanical properties of the base materials. Hard Chrome can be deposited successfully and advantageously onto most metallic substrate materials."

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 22:34   #6
Marine Service Provider

Good information. ZF initially came back and initially quoted €4600 plus 22% vat for each leg saying they would not sell only the shaft. I am trying to persuade them there has to be a better way.

I asked the Ebay lister about the conditions of his shafts and he never responded.

The sleeves and chrome both look like good alternatives. I was surprised at how low the chrome plating temperature is.

One issue I have is that I am based in Sicily right now so finding services and shipping in parts is more of a challenge than normal.

It would be extremely helpful if I could order the sleeves in advance of hauling if I cannot find a way getting the shafts chromed

DougR which drive were those measurements for - the SD10 or something else?
Old 15-07-2016, 06:50   #7

The dimensions mentioned are for a Volvo 120s saildrive shaft.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 23:44   #8
Marine Service Provider

Does anyone have the prop shaft dimensions for the SD10 where the seals come in contact with it?

Tags
sail