Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2023, 20:11   #16

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: New Prop for Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Because I guarantee that wherever it is your boat lives in Texas, there are hull divers close by, capable of lubricating your Max Prop. But apparently you don't have your bottom cleaned either.

Sorry, you’re wrong. Believe me, I and all my sailor buddies have searched. Industrial divers at offshore rates ($$$) yes. Divers for rec boats within reasonable cost drive distance- no. I am in awe of your expertise 2 time zones away.
Old 10-05-2023, 20:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
Sorry, you’re wrong. Believe me, I and all my sailor buddies have searched. Industrial divers at offshore rates ($$$) yes. Divers for rec boats within reasonable cost drive distance- no. I am in awe of your expertise 2 time zones away.
No matter this..

The idea that the prop broke your engine mounts is not within the realm of believability by anybody who understands power trains even if you believe it. For this to even approach possibility, the prop would be shaking the boat to death.

How many hours do you put on your engine in a year? I do about 400. I disassemble and grease the MaxProp every two years, so roughly 800 hours. It is 26 years old, and in perfect condition after 2 circumnavigations.

Of course prop wear in Texas might, like everything else, just be bigger...
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 20:33   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
Sorry, you’re wrong. I am in awe of your expertise 2 time zones away.
Then please enlighten me as to where you keep your boat.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 07:42   #19

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I have a 16 inch 2-blade folding prop on my 3GM30F. A couple of thoughts and comments.

1. Check the transmission ratio as there were a couple of options. That will affect the prop pitch.
2. Diameter will be limited by your aperture size. You need a minimum clearance to avoid problems.
3. You might be able to use a feathering prop, but doubt a folder will work in an aperture like the A35 has. I would stick with a fixed prop.
4. Consider a 2 bladed fixed prop if one with sufficient diameter can be fitted. It can sit in the aperture vertically and greatly reduce drag when sailing.
I had this thought too about the two bladed prop but I have a Yanmar 3gm30F and the engine manual says to leave the transmission in neutral while sailing, so presumably the prop would free wheel and not stay locked in any case.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 08:16   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft voyager 40, Toda

I have been running MaxProps for 20 years or so... first on a Morris Leah 30', then on my Pacific Seacraft 40... Upgraded to a 4 blade two years ago when it was time to refurbish the 3 blade which had 15,000 - 20,000 miles on it. I cannot speak too highly of them. Love that I can tweak the pitch easily (lower pitch if planning to be in cold rough water where I want to be able to hit max WOT, higher pitch if I anticipate long stretches of motor sailing and want a small additional nudge at lower RPM in in the center of the power curve...) The 4 blade is so much smoother than the 3... and a prop that digs as well in reverse as it does in forward makes close-in handling a breeze... They are not cheap, but worth every penny!
toda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 08:58   #21

Remove your old prop and take it to a propeller shop so the can try and decipher what caused you to break a blade. Then tgey cannrecommend what new prop to go with.
Noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 12:06   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I have a 16 inch 2-blade folding prop on my 3GM30F. A couple of thoughts and comments.

1. Check the transmission ratio as there were a couple of options. That will affect the prop pitch.
2. Diameter will be limited by your aperture size. You need a minimum clearance to avoid problems.
3. You might be able to use a feathering prop, but doubt a folder will work in an aperture like the A35 has. I would stick with a fixed prop.
4. Consider a 2 bladed fixed prop if one with sufficient diameter can be fitted. It can sit in the aperture vertically and greatly reduce drag when sailing.
consider a 2 blade IF you are a racer. Otherwise a 3 blade is very superior in propelling you forward and in reverse. It’s all about slippage. The less the better UNLESS racing is your main concern. You will have a much better ability to punch into conditions. A 2 blade is ok for calms or down wind but that’s about it. Your average sailboat, especially an A-35 is better off with a 3 blade for general use. It’s a pretty fairly heavy boat and with its long overhangs, it tends to hobby horse into a chop. How do I know. I lived aboard and cruised many thousands of miles in mine. But wish I could remember the prop size. I refitted with a Yanmar 3 HMF 35 hp. Loved it. Could break hull speed under power. It was a fixed 3 blade Michigan wheel. Good luck.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 35