Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2024, 06:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau
New Stuffing box Beneteau Oceanis leaking

Hello everyone,

Our stuffing box was replaced in Lavrion, on the way back to Preveza we discovered quite late that it was leaking during long engine journeys. Now the boat is in Prevesa / Ionion and there they are at a loss as to how to get to the stuffing box and what the cause could be.
Does anyone have a tip?
Thanks!
Peter
X-Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 08:07   #2

Re: New Stuffing box Beneteau Oceanis leaking

Have you tried tightening the packing nut until the leak stops? If that doesn't work, you might need to replace the packing. Also, make sure the shaft is properly aligned and the box is securely fastened.
ferdinand191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 08:11   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Five View Post
Hello everyone,

Our stuffing box was replaced in Lavrion, on the way back to Preveza we discovered quite late that it was leaking during long engine journeys. Now the boat is in Prevesa / Ionion and there they are at a loss as to how to get to the stuffing box and what the cause could be.
Does anyone have a tip?
Thanks!
Peter
Probably not gonna help you, but your shaft seal is probably a Volvo dripless. Same as we have on our Jeanneau. Open the engine compartment and look at the back where the shaft is coupled to the gearbox. Looking a little further back you should see the seal.

It is possible to change this while the boat is still in the water. We did, here is a video

When replacing, the new shaft seal should be heavily greased. Volvos usually last 800-1000 engine hours. They should be regreased every 3-400 hours.
Get a straw, cut it down to half size, fill the straw with grease, slide the mashed end of the straw under the seal edge and push the grease into the seal. Give it a lot of grease

best of luck and best to do the seal change where there are no crocodiles

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 08:14   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have a tip?
Thanks!
Peter
Who ever "they" is. If they can't find the stuffing box, get another contractor! its pretty easy. Just follow the shaft from the transmission back in the boat until you see the stuffing box! its not entirely unusual for a brand new stufing box to leak as the new packing needs to bed down and seat. Just crack the lock nut and turn the packing nut until the water just stops when at rest. Tighten the lock nut and you're done.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 10:13   #5

I'm sorry, I didn't express myself clearly enough. I know how to get to the stuffing box, which is necessary to lubricate and bleed it after watering. But this approach requires long arms. We have a seawater lubricated Volvo Penta stuffing box that was recently replaced. Previously there were no problems in 15 years or 1400 engine hours. I'm looking for a tip for better access to the stuffing box to check whether it's tight or replace it again.
Old 25-06-2024, 11:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I'm looking for a tip for better access to the stuffing box to check whether it's tight or replace it again.
Depends what what model Beneteau it is.
Old 25-06-2024, 12:29   #7

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

The Volvo shaft seal needs to be burped when the boat is dropped into the water to get the air out. Squeeze it and you will hear the air, then water will come out. Also it needs to be greased…… but not too much as it will clog the cutlass and no water will get through to cool the shaft. As was said, use a straw and put about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of grease in, flatten the end and slid it in then squeeze the grease in as you turn the shaft.

Mine are great and do not leak and stay cool.

Good luck!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 12:34   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Stuffing boxes ate almost always “long arm” projects. If you don’t want to do that put a phone on a selfie stick turn on the video record and stick that back in there

Cheers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 00:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Depends what what model Beneteau it is.

Oceanis 54 BJ 2009

Tags
beneteau, oceanis