Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 04:16   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

If your L450 has cone clutches, then it does not have SD60 drives.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:05   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Yes, I was going to make same comment. I think that glazing would occur when shifting a lot vs. just steady running as when going long distances.

My SD-60 has an engine manufacturing date on it of Dec 2013. But the drive does not have a
Steve of Emerald Sea, do you have any more details re. the changing of your mounts i.e., part numbers involved, tech bulletin number, etc.?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saildrive plate.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	114510  
capbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 17:20   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If your L450 has cone clutches, then it does not have SD60 drives.

Mark
They don't have cone clutches, they are SD 60s
TouchOfGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 18:26   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey View Post
My 2015 Lagoon 450 had the cone clutch fail when being docked at Soper's Hole after spending the winter on the hard at Nanny Cay. Both SD60's had their clutches replaced at my considerable expense. Due to the number of hours (610) on the engines, it appears Yanmar will not cover these on the 2 year warranty. I purchased the Lagoon new from Catco in FLL (another story for another day). It was delivered to me with over 450 hours on each engine after its "sail" over from France.

I certainly will never know what gear the transmission was in when those hours were generated. Oh well.

You did say cone clutch. But ok the clutches failed. I don't understand why yanmar wouldn't warranty them. Is it because it's in charter or because they weren't serviced at the recommended interval by a yanmar service agent or some other reason? Hopefully there's more to the story than meets the eye..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:29   #20

Boat: Oyster 55

SD 40'S and SD 50'S have cone clutches.
The newer SD 60's have a Disk Clutch.

Of course if you boat is in the charter business then be prepared to replace just about everything at the end of your contract. Those boats are heavily abused and only a few escape with little damage.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Anyone out there have experience with the new SD 60's ?
Apparently they have a Disc clutch instead of a cone bearing.
Just had 2 installed in my boat and the yard tells me I am the first in the area that they know of.
Hopefully they will be an improvement compared to the SD 50's.
We are seeing quite a growing number of these SD60, as you say it is a completely new technical solution compared to the older SD20-30-40-50 that had cone clutch.
The SD60 doesn't have the same limitations of past models in terms of prop diameter and is supposed to be a more robust solution.
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:15   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWOL Props View Post
The SD60 doesn't have the same limitations of past models in terms of prop diameter and is supposed to be a more robust solution.
Is the prop diameter limitation the distance to the hull from the shaft?

How has this changed on the SD60? I don't think it is a longer shaft?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 13:46   #23

The limitation was not linked to the distance from the hull but to the inertia of rotation during accelerations and especially during inversions. A larger prop has a higher inertia of rotation, so you need a more resistant leg assembly to be able to install a bigger prop.
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:26   #24

"Steve of Emerald Sea, do you have any more details re. the changing of your mounts i.e., part numbers involved, tech bulletin number, etc.?"

Capbill, the recall to my Yanmar 4JHE 54hp + SD60s was the replacement of the aft engine rubber mounts. This was performed by Yanmar Singapore approx 3 months after delivery of our new 450 and my complaints of excessive vibrations during idling. This fixed the problem and was explained to me as a "recall". However, I found this odd as I knew other new 450 owners who hadn't been advised/notified of this. I haven't any part nrs for these items.

Steve

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:51   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Yanmar Technical Bulletins (SD60):

Replacement SD60 from SD 40/50 ➥ http://czesciyanmar.pl/wp-content/up...ement-SD60.pdf

Shift Delay ➥ http://portal.mastry.com/bulletins/S...ft%20Delay.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:02   #26

Hi Monte et al,

Quite frankly I wouldn't have known if my SD60s were cone clutch or friction. I sent an email to Thierry of Catco, FL about getting warranty assistance. His response:

"Cone clutches are a delicate subject and are not always easily replaceable under warranty - especially at 600 hours.

However, I do not understand why Yanmar USA advised you to contact me to handle warranty replacement. Yanmar warranty first needs to be authorized by Yanmar and then work needs to be performed by any Yanmar-authorized facility of your choice. In that case, Multi-Tech, Catco or even Lagoon would not be options Yanmar would work with.

This means that you can work with your local Yanmar dealer."

I thought he was accurate about the type of clutch being the operations mgr for Multitech Marine, Catco's FLL headquarters for receiving and doing OEM mods on all their lagoons. At any rate:

I took possession of the 450 last November. It already had almost 500 hours! First she left France with a Capt with a terminally bad back. He bailed on the delivery in Calais. It took almost three weeks for Catco/Lagoon to get another crew. The winds were light and they apparently motored or motor sailed across the Atlantic. We now keep the boat in Tortola, on the hard in Nanny Cay. After being launched the Capt had the clutch(es) fail upon docking at Soper's. My mngmt company quickly got parts and when I arrived, I was informed I have new clutches (and $4000 less capital). The Tortola Yanmar rep did not offer warranty help, and I was told all the SD60's need the clutches replaced after about 600 hours (mine were at 610).

My last boat was in BVI charter, and FP Bahia with SD40s, I replaced the cone clutches after 8 years of apparent abuse. My new baby I treat so carefully. Never a quick shift from Forward to reverse. Engines get used less than 1 hour a day when raising sails and dropping anchor.

So if anyone knows best tactic to convince Yanmar Tortola to authorize warranty replacement let me know. I did contact Yanmar USA who also said I must work with my local Yanmar dealer.

I have so many other tales of "breaking" in a new Lagoon. This post is too long already.

James Hirshberg
Sunshine Daydream
2015 Lagoon 450 #371
Old 11-12-2015, 19:27   #27
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi James. Sorry for the run of bad luck. It sounds like the dealer isn't really on the ball with the SD 60 and the maintainance company isn't really fussed who pays the bill. I'd assume any warranty claim would need to be done after diagnosis and before the work is done, but I don't have any experience with yanmar warranty claims, touch wood.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 06:25   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 409

GordMay, thanks for the 2 bulletins.
The first i have seen but in a new installation like mine it is not relevant.
The second changes what the manual stated e.i. now leave it in reverse when sailing for folding and feathering props. I have been putting back to neutral after collapsing the prop.

Emerald Sea, Did they replace all 3 ( 2 engine, 1 sail drive) or just the rear sail drive?
capbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 03:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey View Post
Hi Monte et al,

Quite frankly I wouldn't have known if my SD60s were cone clutch or friction. I sent an email to Thierry of Catco, FL about getting warranty assistance. His response:

"Cone clutches are a delicate subject and are not always easily replaceable under warranty - especially at 600 hours.

However, I do not understand why Yanmar USA advised you to contact me to handle warranty replacement. Yanmar warranty first needs to be authorized by Yanmar and then work needs to be performed by any Yanmar-authorized facility of your choice. In that case, Multi-Tech, Catco or even Lagoon would not be options Yanmar would work with.

This means that you can work with your local Yanmar dealer."

I thought he was accurate about the type of clutch being the operations mgr for Multitech Marine, Catco's FLL headquarters for receiving and doing OEM mods on all their lagoons. At any rate:

I took possession of the 450 last November. It already had almost 500 hours! First she left France with a Capt with a terminally bad back. He bailed on the delivery in Calais. It took almost three weeks for Catco/Lagoon to get another crew. The winds were light and they apparently motored or motor sailed across the Atlantic. We now keep the boat in Tortola, on the hard in Nanny Cay. After being launched the Capt had the clutch(es) fail upon docking at Soper's. My mngmt company quickly got parts and when I arrived, I was informed I have new clutches (and $4000 less capital). The Tortola Yanmar rep did not offer warranty help, and I was told all the SD60's need the clutches replaced after about 600 hours (mine were at 610).

My last boat was in BVI charter, and FP Bahia with SD40s, I replaced the cone clutches after 8 years of apparent abuse. My new baby I treat so carefully. Never a quick shift from Forward to reverse. Engines get used less than 1 hour a day when raising sails and dropping anchor.

So if anyone knows best tactic to convince Yanmar Tortola to authorize warranty replacement let me know. I did contact Yanmar USA who also said I must work with my local Yanmar dealer.

I have so many other tales of "breaking" in a new Lagoon. This post is too long already.

James Hirshberg
Sunshine Daydream
2015 Lagoon 450 #371
I believe that your first claim contact should be Lagoon rep that sold the boat to you. They should contact and deal with Yanmar on your behalf. Our Lagoon agent dealt successfully with Yanmar on our behalf when engine overheated at the end of its warranty period.
Then - where from did the info of replacing SD-60 clutches every 600h come from? It seems strange that the new drives are so short lived (on Sd-50 there is a instruction in the manual to perform lapping of the cones every 500h).
Old 20-12-2015, 08:51   #30

Yes, I did contact my rep at Catco in Ft Lauderdale. He was clear that I must go through my local rep in the BVI. You were fortunate that your boat sales rep took care of you. Getting Catco to help out after the sale is like pulling teeth. I should know, I'm a dentist.
My list of items that should have been replaced/repaired that never were is lengthy. Ultimately, there is less stress just getting my management company in the BVI to take care of it.

Tags
sail, saildrive, yanmar