Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2023, 19:53   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5
Octopus Autopilot Pump Exploded

Hey all! While sailing down the coast of California in 40 knot winds we got hit by a pretty big wave that literally blew my octopus autopilot pump into two pieces. The pump head was detached from the motor body and all the oil spilled out. I rebolted the pieces together using the bolts and while I didn't torque it down extremely tightly the bolts did not seem stripped. This pump is probably 30 years old.

After I reassembled it, we noticed that it did not pump or turn the wheel nearly as fast. But it did work. But I have a few questions -

The pump that I have has the solenoid at the top. I see that octopus sells a pump without the same solenoid. Does that mean that this pump would be always on and I would be unable to turn the steering wheel even when it was powered off?

And secondly any tips as to what may have broken on my current autopilot pump?

Similar to my pump: https://www.hodgesmarine.com/octocta...xoCxjoQAvD_BwE

similar pump without solenoid: https://www.hodgesmarine.com/octocta...xoCIckQAvD_BwE
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2023, 23:17   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Octopus Autopilot Pump Exploded

Seems like a lot of money for such a small pump.

You could buy the cheaper pump and put your valve body on it. The pump might be available from sources other than the autopilot maker.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, pump