Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 16:48   #46

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Permanent Marking Pen to keep prop clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I thought the gold mine that came out of this topic was the plastic bag idea. Easy to do in the water, sounds like it would work, cheap, and safe - even if you forget, how much damage can a garbage bag do? Good tip.
It does not always work. Sometimes the sea life in the bag goes very very bad.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 18:03   #47

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I thought the gold mine that came out of this topic was the plastic bag idea. Easy to do in the water, sounds like it would work, cheap, and safe - even if you forget, how much damage can a garbage bag do? Good tip.
Yeah, I like this idea too. Cleaner than grease while sitting on the hook working.. leaving for SXM Tomorrow hoping to catch the 5:30. I owe you a 50 for the solar panels. Send me an email.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 19:51   #48

Boat: Whitby 42

I have heard the same from a Marina owner in Florida who hauls hundreds of boats per year that boats who had writing with marker on the prop had less growth where the marker was. I saw him applying it to his own prop and asked what the deal was. He swears by it and also said only one brand seems to work, possibly marks a lot. He also sold the markers in his ships store for that purpose. I have not tried it but why not next time.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 15:11   #49

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I have heard the same from a Marina owner in Florida who hauls hundreds of boats per year that boats who had writing with marker on the prop had less growth where the marker was. I saw him applying it to his own prop and asked what the deal was. He swears by it and also said only one brand seems to work, possibly marks a lot. He also sold the markers in his ships store for that purpose. I have not tried it but why not next time.
So the question to ask is, what ingredient is in "Marks-a-lot" that is not in other permanent markers?

Apart from the 'marker' discussion, the general subject is very timely for me; I've just had my boat hauled, power washed & bottom paint. She has now been returned to her natural element & I'm anxious to see how this new bottom paint works out. The previous product did not work well at all but I've forgotten whose product it was.
While they were at it, Pt. Roberts marina staff also replaced all zincs, cleaned the prop & applied a product called "Speed-prop" after which, it looks like they also applied bottom paint to the prop too ... same with the S.S. rudder fittings.
So I'm thinking they're using the Speed Prop product as a primer maybe? - Prior to this, there was no coating of any kind on either prop or fittings & they were all covered in growth after approx 2 yrs in sea water at Point Roberts in the PNW.
Another thought comes to mind ... in years gone by, we applied copper undercoat paint to prevent growth. A good prop is usually made of BRONZE which has a fair amount of COPPER in it I believe. If that be so, why do we have barnacles & mussels attaching themselves to it?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 15:51   #50
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
......... A good prop is usually made of BRONZE which has a fair amount of COPPER in it I believe. If that be so, why do we have barnacles & mussels attaching themselves to it?
As an aside to the main thrust of this thread, I had my prop copper plated once and it stayed barnacle free for about 18 months or more.

Never did again as the turn around time at the plating shop was about 3+ weeks.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 15:59   #51

Zinc Oxide Creme from the pharmacy is not only for nose sunburn protection. 20% zinc oxide and sticky as hell. Slather on everywhere the zinc/s aren't :-)
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 16:11   #52
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
Zinc Oxide Creme from the pharmacy is not only for nose sunburn protection. 20% zinc oxide and sticky as hell. Slather on everywhere the zinc/s aren't :-)
Welcome aboard CF, good first post
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote