Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2023, 13:39   #1

Boat: 36.5 Wylie Custom Cold Molded Cruising Cutter
Perry nut cotter pin- will zinc fit over it?

When I dove on my prop and took the Perry nut off my prop shaft taper, I didn’t see a cotter pin. The zinc had fallen off. After removing the Perry nut, I saw the stubby ends of a broken off cotter pin that wasn’t doing anything to keep the nut from falling off. I hammered it out with a punch and it’s ready for a new cotter pin..but I don’t know if a zinc will fit over the cotter pin?

The correct way to install the cotter pin would be through the slots in the Perry nut, through the shaft taper and fold back the ends on the outside of the Perry nut. I am doubting there will be room to slide a zinc over the nut and cotter pin.

I feel the cotter pin is important especially because there is only the Perry nut to prevent the prop from falling off. Typically there is a thin nut and a thicker nut stacked together to hold the prop on. A cotter pin passes through the thicker nut.

Any one with a similar set up, please comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6692.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	277309  
Onemoreproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 15:30   #2

Re: Perry nut cotter pin- will zinc fit over it?

You seem to be missing some bits and pieces. You need to get it back together the way it is intended to be installed.

Here are the instructions for a Perry nut zinc:
https://www.boatzincs.com/pdfs/PN_Installation.pdf

As you can see there is no reason the zinc and the cotter pin should ever interact in the way you seem to think they do.

Doing any way other than the instructions describe is a bad idea.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 15:56   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Perry nut cotter pin- will zinc fit over it?

The OP does not have a “Perry Nut” anode (which in actuality are quite rare.) He has the standard prop nut anode. And in answer to his question, yes, a cotter pin is used. You line up the cotter pin hole with the slots in the prop nut, insert the cotter pin and then bend the pin ends over into the slots. This way the anode fits over the prop nut as intended.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1687734103.313120.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	277320
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote