Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2023, 07:46   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Plumbing water supply for shaft seal

I'm wrapping up my prop shaft overhaul and have almost finished installing new lasdrop face seal. What is the best place to plumb the water supply line to? Can I tee it into the raw water line anywhere after the water pump">raw water pump? Or is there an ideal spot in the system to tee in to?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:13   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Plumbing water supply for shaft seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I'm wrapping up my prop shaft overhaul and have almost finished installing new lasdrop face seal. What is the best place to plumb the water supply line to? Can I tee it into the raw water line anywhere after the raw water pump? Or is there an ideal spot in the system to tee in to?
Aboard Jedi it was plumbed to a drain cock of the transmission heat exchanger… after reading the manual I decided that I only need to vent so as to allow the air to escape and the seal to flood, which is enough cooling for non planing boats (I have that no-drip seal).

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 15:22   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
I'm wrapping up my prop shaft overhaul and have almost finished installing new lasdrop face seal. What is the best place to plumb the water supply line to? Can I tee it into the raw water line anywhere after the raw water pump? Or is there an ideal spot in the system to tee in to?
Does it NEED a water supply or just a means of removing air? The PSS, for example, doesn't need a water feed unless fitted to a reasonably fast power boat.
Old 12-06-2023, 16:14   #4

Forced water isn't required, but I figured it shouldn't be a huge job and maybe it's a little better than a vent. I just haven't decided where the right spot to tee it in is. Just to get everything working, I plumbed a vent hose up above the waterline, and I'll leave it like that for now. If/when I decide where to tee in, I'll do so. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2023, 19:41   #5

Quote:
Forced water isn't required, but I figured it shouldn't be a huge job and maybe it's a little better than a vent. I just haven't decided where the right spot to tee it in is. Just to get everything working, I plumbed a vent hose up above the waterline, and I'll leave it like that for now. If/when I decide where to tee in, I'll do so. Thanks!
It's not better than a vent. It's an unnecessary complication and an additional point of failure. Why would you choose to add points of failure to a boat?
Old 12-06-2023, 23:26   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I didn’t like the idea of an open hose in the engine room, so I used a Marelon thru-hull fitting into the cockpit footwell, combining the vent of a standpipe with it and this has worked great

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 02:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I didn’t like the idea of an open hose in the engine room, so I used a Marelon thru-hull fitting into the cockpit footwell, combining the vent of a standpipe with it and this has worked great
Similar setup on our boat. I used a left over fuel tank breather, the sort with the insect mesh.
Old 13-06-2023, 03:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
It's not better than a vent. It's an unnecessary complication and an additional point of failure. Why would you choose to add points of failure to a boat?
I guess I'll have to research that more and give it some more thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That's a pretty good idea, it's possible I might be able to do something similar.

Tags
plumbing, shaft seal, water