Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2017, 08:40   #1

Boat: Chaparral
Power tilt and trim

I have a 2004 Chaparral 290 with twin Volvo's. Each outdrive has its own electrical trim motor. The starboard one is shot. When it comes to mechanical I give myself a B minus. The cost for one of these is about $1,000. Is this something that is fairly easy to do. It seems all this stuff is attention to detail. I tried to do the manifolds and risers and was given the incorrect sealant and it ended up costing me more when the mechanic arrived. Don't want to go down that road. Again!! Help is greatly appreciated
junojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:30   #2

Re: Power tilt and trim

$1000 sounds steep.

Check out ARCO Marine and see if you can get a better price.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:37   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Depends, I didn't have to change one, but the motor for a Mercury Verado is actually a windshield wiper motor, or some other widely available motor.
Mercury didn't have a motor specially built just for them, maybe Volvo didn't either?

Sometimes I have simply Googled a part number on the part when I removed it.
I found out that way that the starter solenoid on my Maule airplane was actually an OMC part that way. Of course I didn't go down to the Outboard shop and buy a Solenoid, that would not have been legal
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 10:07   #4

Thanks. I'm just not too sure I will do it correctly. I think I have to buy the complete unit.
Old 21-02-2017, 10:09   #5

Boat: Oyster 66

Parts like that often come with more than you need. It mat be a loose wire. Cost to fix, just an hour maybe if you are lucky. If it's a burnt out armature, you can get it re-wound for $100, plus a few hours. You need to do some testing to have a chance at saving on that price.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 10:13   #6

Is it difficult if I need to replace the unit
Old 21-02-2017, 11:06   #7

Are your legs 290e's
If so the trim motor and reservoir is one unit and unusual for the need of a complete replacement
I presume you have swopped the relays ( little square boxes with block wire connectors) as these are the normal fault

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 11:09   #8

no. 17
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1487704133.586354.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	141710

Old 21-02-2017, 12:44   #9

I have not done anything. Not super mechanically inclined. The motor is not as strong as the other one. You can barely hear it running. Also when under power the drive trim does not hold, but it does if not under power
Old 21-02-2017, 15:43   #10

Ok, possible motor windings/ electrical fault so unless you want to spend a bit of time researching how the unit works , I would suggest you call a pro in
But before you do, check there is oil in the reservoir at the correct level, if it is - then I would say the hydraulic system has a valve fault.
If the level is low and no signs of oil around the trim unit you may have a leak in the ram seals or one of the pipes on the shield- haul out time !
Good luck

Old 21-02-2017, 15:50   #11

No oil leaks around seals to the cylinders on the outdrive. If it is the power tilt and trim power source, does it make sense to replace the unit because thats what the Volvo dealers sells
Old 21-02-2017, 16:02   #12

The unit can be broken Down and faulty parts replaced once you have tested electrical connections etc
See#8 above
Do the basics first as once you trace and understand the units electrical and hydraulic sides it's not that complex
The whole unit is simple to replace, just make note of what goes where when you remove the original , if you ' bite the bullet' and go for a new one

Old 21-02-2017, 16:06   #13

Super appreciated. If I bring out a tech at $125 an hour, I'm screwed. They are good at replacing parts. Not fixing parts of a power tilt and trim system. I need to get better at trouble shooting, because my wife wants a trawler. Gonna pull the unit tomorrow
Old 25-02-2017, 03:47   #14
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Check voltage directly at the pump when operating.If not close to battery voltage then you have an up stream or grounding electrical issue. Voltage drop will cause the pump to run slowly. Diagnosis is everything with electrical problems, any monkey can change a part but a true mechanic/electrician will perform a diagnosis before any disassembly.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 06:48   #15
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Parts like that often come with more than you need. It mat be a loose wire. Cost to fix, just an hour maybe if you are lucky. If it's a burnt out armature, you can get it re-wound for $100, plus a few hours. You need to do some testing to have a chance at saving on that price.
I have a Four Winn's with the Volvo Penta 8.1 in it. The trim stopped working and I also got a price of 1 motor boat unit to repair. It was a bad wire connection in the top block of the hydraulic unit and took about 30 minutes to repair.