Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019, 17:09   #1

Primocon

I want to prep my prop with primocon, an underwater metal primer made by Interlux. The instructions say that the metal should first be etched with viny lux wash prior to the application. Apparently they have stopped production so has anyone found a good substitute? I have that question into Defender and will see if they get back to me.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 17:41   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Re: Primocon

Don't know that this answers your question directly, but I recently applied the Velox AF system to my props and prior to applying the primer, the directions said to prep the surface by using 80 grit sandpaper, which I did using a palm sander. This provided a scratched up surface profile necessary for the primer to grab hold of...I'm guessing the viny lux wash somehow chemically etches the surface to the necessary profile.

Hope this helps.

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 17:52   #3

Thanks Pat. I was considering switching to the Velox system, but I've had success in the past with just putting hard bottom paint on the prop after prep with primocon. Not sure if I'll get the proper adhesion with just the sandpaper since I've always used sandpaper in addition to the viny wash previously.
Old 07-04-2019, 19:26   #4

Based on my past experience, your best bet by far is to call Interlux tech support. They will have a good answer for you. Probably better than you'll get here... or from Defender.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:52   #5

I've heard from Interlux and apparently sanding with 80 grit is good enough. We'll see. That is consistent with the prep instructions for velox so not sure why interlux ever required the viny wash in the past.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:24   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44

Lancelot, good to hear. I prepped mine by hand sanding during several past haul outs but this last time, I broke down and bought a palm sander (actually, for use on a separate project in the boat), which made phenomenally quick work of the prop project and left a very uniform surface profile (unlike the hand prepped profile). If you don't have one, I highly recommend the $40-$60 cost of a simple one.

Good luck with the project!

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:49   #7

if you're in the market for a handy tool that can sand, I love all the uses I find for one of these

Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote