Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 00:54   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Prop shaft rope cutter

Hi, any suggestions regarding prop shaft rope cutters that can be fitted while boat is in the water?

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Prop shaft rope cutter

You might be interested in this.
Propeller rope cutter test

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:16   #3

Boat: Formosa 41

I have a prop-protector on our current boat and had one on our previous boat.

I test it each year by backing over my dinghy painter.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:27   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi, any suggestions regarding prop shaft rope cutters that can be fitted while boat is in the water?

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Take a look at the Shaft Shark (AB Marine - Shaft Shark - Propeller Protection Device). I don't think it's the most effective design, but it looks like it's a split serrated disk that would be very easy to install in the water.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:46   #5
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I have a prop-protector on our current boat and had one on our previous boat.

I test it each year by backing over my dinghy painter.
Ha! Excellent
Old 07-01-2017, 09:19   #6

I have had a shaft shark. It needs to be mounted very close to the prop. If your shaft is tapered, they will work with you to customize it for a nominal charge. It can be easily installed underwater.
goodnumbers64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:24   #7

+1 for the shaft shark. Gets me thru kelp but have to go into reverse sometimes to clear any remaining stuff. Had it for 4 years.
val99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:51   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Take a look at the Shaft Shark (AB Marine - Shaft Shark - Propeller Protection Device). I don't think it's the most effective design, but it looks like it's a split serrated disk that would be very easy to install in the water.
That's what we have. We didn't install it in the water, but I bought it considering that I could do so if I had to.

Does it work? I dunno, which means yes. At haulout, I found a tiny filament of polypropylene on one tooth. Did it therefore actually slice a length of line that would have otherwise bound my four-bladed VariProp in very cold water? Dunno.

I'm rather glad I don't know, when I reflect on it.

Just be prepared for some "sticker shock".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:03   #9

Boat: Hunter 41

I installed a Shaft Shark a few years ago. It may work well for kelp and some type of snagged lines but this Fall, my dinghy painter got sucked under the hull and wrapped around the prop (use propylene painter but still got sucked under). I had to dive in 50 F degree water in a shorty wet suit to free up the shaft... major shrinkage and an hour to warm back up. So, if you install one, don't let it give you a false sense of security.

I'm sure it does its job and works fine for a lot of different situations but it won't guarantee that you won't get snagged on something at some time.
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:25   #10

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Just be prepared for some "sticker shock".
Something I am now considering as a "must have" in SW Fl as I start plying my way south to the Keys. Lots of pots in the water and the associated line/bouy, which I do try to miss, but sometimes not so easy at night.

But why oh why, just because it is marine related, does it have to cost so much? Amazing that a SS bicycle gear (well, that is what it looks like) can cost so much. I get it, precision SS and yes, I will pay it.. Ugh!
Old 08-01-2017, 06:26   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You might be interested in this.
Propeller rope cutter test

Gord,
That article and video is the best comparison I have seen yet on the prop line cutters.

Thanks for posting the link. I had seen some video on Youtube, but missed the full article, which I found very informative.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:28   #12

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Odyssey View Post
I'm sure it does its job and works fine for a lot of different situations but it won't guarantee that you won't get snagged on something at some time.
After viewing the video GM attached at the beginning of this thread I don't think any can give a 100% feeling of comfort but I feel it has to be better than nothing.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:29   #13

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Odyssey View Post
I installed a Shaft Shark a few years ago. It may work well for kelp and some type of snagged lines but this Fall, my dinghy painter got sucked under the hull and wrapped around the prop (use propylene painter but still got sucked under). I had to dive in 50 F degree water in a shorty wet suit to free up the shaft... major shrinkage and an hour to warm back up. So, if you install one, don't let it give you a false sense of security.

I agree. The Shaft Shark, like the other disk cutter designs, is not nearly 100% effective. This is supported by all the independent tests I've read. I have a similar design (Shaft Razor), and I still try very hard to avoid lobster pots and weed patches. I also carry a wet suit and a hook knife as a backup. Having said that, I haven't had a bad line wrap since I installed the Shaft Razor. I have had weeds collect on the prop, but they have much less effect on the thrust and they are easily cleared with a boat hook.

If you install a line cutter, I would also recommend carrying kevlar gloves to protect your hands in case you need to work close to it in the water.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am curious, and I would like to see some cost comparisons on these products.
If anyone reading this has done some recent analysis, comparing the retail prices for the same size shaft but different prop line cutters, please post it or share or send me a PM. Note that the prices for these items can vary significantly based on prop shaft size, so it is important to quote same size.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:01   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

After 9 years we have just replaced the plastic bearing in our Ambassador stripper because the boat was out for a cutlass bearing change. Seems to work well and we have hit a couple of pots in that time. Also does a good job of cutting up the thin stringy seaweed mats that appear in the Channel after a storm. With bilge keels I wouldn't be without it as there is no keel to fend anything off.

Since we regularly dry out in mud between the tides the cutlass bearing and stripper do take a bit of a pounding with the mud.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, rope