Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2023, 15:11   #1

Boat: Passport 41
Prop shaft slipped off transmission when in fwd gear

Hi folks,

A few days ago my prop shaft slipped off of the transmission coupling while I was motor sailing. The wind had picked up so I throttled down and immediately heard a loud bang. The set screws were still tied together with the locking wire, but after measuring the length of screws and amount of thread exposed, I'm pretty confident they were either not fully tightened or the shaft dimples were not properly aligned with the holes in the coupling. The marks around the dimples suggest the latter to me

I've now put it back in place and made sure the dimples line up with the coupling holes. Indeed now the screws have less thread exposed

However, the dimples have a conical shape (see photo) and the screws have a flat end, so only around 2mm of thread goes into the shaft. Is that good enough or should I get set screws with different ends?

Also, I'm wondering how the shaft slipped off when I was in forward gear? Could it be just the force incurred against the prop by the boat moving at around 4kts was much greater than that of the prop spinning at low revs? How come it didn't slip off a day before when I drove hard in reverse to set my anchor?

Any other ideas on how to make sure I fix this properly would be highly appreciated! Click image for larger version

Name:	20230220_162350.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	271803
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 15:14   #2

Re: Prop shaft slipped off transmission when in fwd gear

In my experience, proper set screws have a tapered end, and a dimple in the flat spot at the end of the taper so they can “bite”. They look different than machine screws, because they do different things.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 15:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
In my experience, proper set screws have a tapered end, and a dimple in the flat spot at the end of the taper so they can “bite”. They look different than machine screws, because they do different things.
Like this? Click image for larger version

Name:	S3679__84541.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	271805
Old 20-02-2023, 15:50   #4

How is the fit between the hub and the shaft? Ideally it is a very light press, on the order of ten thousandths of inch to .001", and requires heat to remove/install. If it is loose as-is, I would scrap that flange and buy a split style one from Buck Algonquin or similar that can be positively clamped on. Make sure the shaft outside diameter is in good shape before you install- rotate it by hand and take off any high spots with a file/sandpaper. Measure shaft diameter with a good caliper or micrometer before placing your order. This is just me, but I am not a fan of using set screws to take any significant torque such as what comes out of an engine. Same with using a keyway- much better to have a press or clamp fit to prevent fretting over time and early failure. The split type are nice because installation/removal using heat, required on a non-split type, is a risky business with little room for error ie very easy to get stuck halfway on/half cocked and damage trying to remove.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 16:02   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
How is the fit between the hub and the shaft? Ideally it is a very light press, on the order of ten thousandths of inch to .001", and requires heat to remove/install. If it is loose as-is, I would scrap that flange and buy a split style one from Buck Algonquin or similar that can be positively clamped on. Make sure the shaft outside diameter is in good shape before you install- rotate it by hand and take off any high spots with a file/sandpaper. Measure shaft diameter with a good caliper or micrometer before placing your order. This is just me, but I am not a fan of using set screws to take any significant torque such as what comes out of an engine. Same with using a keyway- much better to have a press or clamp fit to prevent fretting over time and early failure. The split type are nice because installation/removal using heat, required on a non-split type, is a risky business with little room for error ie very easy to get stuck halfway on/half cocked and damage trying to remove.
Good solid advice. The dimple in your shaft is what is known in the trades as "fuffnick" as in not what you call good. The shaft itself looks a bit beat up. A split collar would be a very good idea for what the picture shows.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 16:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
Mine is definitely not a tight fit, but in my naive/inexperienced mind I was assuming the torque would be taken by the key. However I've just noticed the key is not a perfect fit in the keyway either and there's a bit of play when the screws are not tightened so I guess the screws are taking the torque? If that's the case it probably won't take long for the ends of those screws to get worn and let the shaft slip off again?
Old 20-02-2023, 16:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating View Post
Bingo! Like those!
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 16:28   #8

Quote:
Mine is definitely not a tight fit, but in my naive/inexperienced mind I was assuming the torque would be taken by the key. However I've just noticed the key is not a perfect fit in the keyway either and there's a bit of play when the screws are not tightened so I guess the screws are taking the torque? If that's the case it probably won't take long for the ends of those screws to get worn and let the shaft slip off again?
You need a tight fit regardless of having set screws or keyways. Loose anything will make it come loose again.

https://www.generalpropeller.com/inb...plit-couplings

https://www.generalpropeller.com/inb...plit-Couplings
Old 20-02-2023, 16:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
You need a tight fit regardless of having set screws or keyways. Loose anything will make it come loose again.

https://www.generalpropeller.com/inb...plit-couplings

https://www.generalpropeller.com/inb...plit-Couplings
Makes sense, I'm adding that to the list of things I'll address in the next haul out, but I wonder if there's anything I can do now to make it last 3 more months? I've just read about this loctite for cylindrical fitting parts...
Old 20-02-2023, 16:38   #10

Loctite will help but it'll be tough removing it if your using the red bearing mount stuff. You need to heat it to about 600*F.
Blue or green bearing mount is a lot easier to remove but don't hold as well.
Old 20-02-2023, 18:26   #11

Quote:
Hi folks,
wondering how the shaft slipped off when I was in forward gear Attachment 271803

Had that happen on a delivery once and I attributed it to the slow speed and rolling motion that likely caused a momentary lack of shaft pressure. My problem was a worn/broken key. The whole thing was wearing (set screws and key) because the collar had too much play. Since I was becalmed 1000 miles off shore and needed to motor, I managed to make a temporary key by using the house batteries to weld some fork tines together. Once in a marina I replaced the collar, key and screws. The real issue was the collar -- the other issues were symptoms.
dcondit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 19:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcondit View Post
Had that happen on a delivery once and I attributed it to the slow speed and rolling motion that likely caused a momentary lack of shaft pressure. My problem was a worn/broken key. The whole thing was wearing (set screws and key) because the collar had too much play. Since I was becalmed 1000 miles off shore and needed to motor, I managed to make a temporary key by using the house batteries to weld some fork tines together. Once in a marina I replaced the collar, key and screws. The real issue was the collar -- the other issues were symptoms.
What is too much play in this case? I can push the shaft into the collar manually but I don't see significant play between them
Old 20-02-2023, 19:19   #13

I'm not a mechanic (although I play one on the open ocean), but with the correct set screws/torque, proper key and correct/unworn coupling, I wouldn't expect any play at all. It should feel solid.
dcondit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 19:19   #14

The shafts on my boat use a split coupling, A key way, grubs screws And an a press fit pin that goes completely through the shaft and engages the coupler on both sides
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 20:37   #15

Quote:
What is too much play in this case? I can push the shaft into the collar manually but I don't see significant play between them
If you can put the shaft into the coupler by hand without heating the coupler or judicious use of a hammer it's probably too loose. It should have pretty close to zero clearance. Looking at the shaft in the picture it looks a bit beat up. You could fit the shaft back in with Loctite bearing mount and a new grub screw but it will likely come loose again.

Look up transition fit and press fit. You need a good micrometer and or vernier caliper to measure both the shaft and hole in the coupler properly though.

Tags
gear, transmission