Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 12:21   #1

Prop strut movement

Hi there.
I have a 1978 Irwin 34 and I recently found that the prop strut has some movement and it's not tight to the hull.
I checked from the inside of the boat and I could find any bolts. It looks like somebody put fiberglass and a wooden board on top of where the strut is fixed.

I checked from below and the strut simply gets into the hull, so there should be any bolts or something from the inside, although I can't see them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010066.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	75299  
Romanr9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 13:13   #2

Re: Prop strut movement

Hello again.
Looking online I found this picture that I recognize as how my boat looks like from the inside and that explains why I can't see the bolts:

Now I know I have to drill through that fiberglass part that's covering the bolts to reach them and tighten them.

Do you think I can do this without getting the boat out of the water or do I MUST to get it out before drilling through that part?
Romanr9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 22:00   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.
Re: Prop strut movement

dear romanr99 it is better to haul out your boat
i fixed one boat 10 days ago with the same problem a jeanneau but it is different type of strut.check also your earth cable that is connected on the strut normally it is connected on the srut and going on to the engine.
if you find loose screws better replace silicone that has or epoxy putty whatever they have put on your boat so you know you are 100% sealed and secured .
The only thing you must pay attention is the movement of your shaft when you tight the bolts check by your hand the shaft that rotates freely so you are sure the strut is at the same height and nothing changed.Of course change your cutlass bearing with new and then check it :-)
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men