Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2024, 10:32   #16

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Propeller fouling, unconventional idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Using the bags does work. Even for months [ left it this way for 2 months for overseas travel]. The bags exclude new organisms from entering to foul the prop, and also cut down on the oxygen in the trapped water, so the environment around the prop is less life supportive.

As to why people don't do it more often, I really can't say. It's never been a secret. I think some might be deterred by not knowing how to set it up to be removed safely from the boat without diving it when you're ready to leave. (We rigged an uphaul line.) And of course, there are some anchorages where it would take a life or death kind of emergency for me to go in--just too foul with biologicals and heavy metals--or a known bull shark population. Lots of reasons to avoid diving some places.

We always used to wait for the near the top of the tide for prop cleaning, to ensure the cleanest water with the better visibility.

Ann

Thanks or confirmation Ann, will remember the bag if we ever get a boat with fixed props/drives. Really a simple solution.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2024, 11:00   #17

My slip neighbor has twin out drives, bags them religiously with thick canvas bags, then shoots some fresh water into the bags every few days.
He gets a little slime, and no barnacles.
So I’d say the bagging idea for your inboard prop can be at least somewhat effective, but far from a perfect solution.
I’ve wondered about rubber “Mickey mouse ears” covers that would slip over each blade?
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2024, 20:03   #18

Love the idea. My suggestion to further improve on the bag method for really long period of time:
1 - use thick contractor grade bags for yard waste
2 - black plastic is probably best to block out any sun
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2024, 07:25   #19

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Marine Grease is your answer. Grab a handful, dive down and smear it all over the blades. As long as you don't run the engine in gear, it will stay on.

When you're ready to go, whatever has grown over the grease will easily peel off the first time you rev up the engine in gear.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2024, 08:01   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi,

just thinking out aloud. Just had a controversial idea.

I do read very often that people have big issues with their props fouling and the various antifouling paints not working well on them in areas with a lot of growth.

Many boats stay for weeks afloat without moving.

How about a a safe quick release system for the propeller.

You leave the boat for a longer period?

Quick dive, slide the propeller off, slide a dummy hub on (to prevent fouling on the shafts where it sits.)
Go home and upon return reverse.

One could even task the hull cleaning diver with this.

Thoughts?

PS.
We have folding outboards, so don't have this problem.
Easier. A product was once sold that consisted of a heavy plastic bag and Velcro closure. Dive down and enclose the prop. When you are ready to leave there is a retrieval line to pull it off. This was reputed to work totally.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 09:22   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Bagging is a good idea, but still requires diving under the boat before moving. If I was leaving my boat in a marina where it was safe to dive for a prolonged period,, it’d be a great idea

Focusing on anchoring out, and never wanting to disable my drive, I’ve successfully used Propspeed, which is a specialized coating just for props. Does a good job, significantly more expensive than a plastic bag, needs to be redone annually if you’re using boat lots (we were full time cruising) - but it works.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 10:16   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
Bagging is a good idea, but still requires diving under the boat before moving. If I was leaving my boat in a marina where it was safe to dive for a prolonged period,, it’d be a great idea

Focusing on anchoring out, and never wanting to disable my drive, I’ve successfully used Propspeed, which is a specialized coating just for props. Does a good job, significantly more expensive than a plastic bag, needs to be redone annually if you’re using boat lots (we were full time cruising) - but it works.

It is never safe to dive in a marina. Cause of death = electrocution don’t do this!

Prop speed, prop glide are equivalent. They last a season if very well applied and have longer life if you keep the RPM low. A tiny bit of oil on the surface while applying will give a bad job.

If the OP was planning to quick release the prop then he was already planning two dives.
Old 17-08-2024, 11:47   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

[QUOTE=Nicholson58;3925540]It is never safe to dive in a marina. Cause of death = electrocution don’t do this!

Sorry, this is misinformation - ESD (electric shock drowning) is a freshwater issue, shy of jumping into saltwater hanging onto a bare 120v wire.

My reference = https://globalnews.ca/news/3583238/what-canadians-need-to-know-about-electric-shock-drowning-and-how-to-prevent-it/
Not hard to find freshwater factor in a number of online sources.

If you have documentation of ESD in saltwater, I’d be very interested in seeing it, Nicholson58; it’s definitely a detail worth knowing.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 12:50   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=nofacey;3925556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
It is never safe to dive in a marina. Cause of death = electrocution don’t do this!

Sorry, this is misinformation - ESD (electric shock drowning) is a freshwater issue, shy of jumping into saltwater hanging onto a bare 120v wire.

My reference = https://globalnews.ca/news/3583238/w...to-prevent-it/
Not hard to find freshwater factor in a number of online sources.

If you have documentation of ESD in saltwater, I’d be very interested in seeing it, Nicholson58; it’s definitely a detail worth knowing.

Definitely more likely in fresh. The science is clear. The rub comes if the source is something you contact. Source can be a boat or dock hardware.

https://americanboating.org/safety_e...k_drowning.asp

Not a good place to swim and most marinas prohibit swimming including bottom cleaning.
Old 17-08-2024, 13:41   #25

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Get a long & wide sheet of thick plastic running from bow to stern. It needs to contain the water next to the hull. Then add bleach. Nothing will grow. When ready to move, unfasten the bow and roll up over the stern. Probably on to the cardboard roll it came on. A very tight weave tarp will also work.
In another life I did this on racing sailboats over 40 feet.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 13:49   #26

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

For longer term antifouling on berth just pull a tarp under the whole boat and fast it on the rails, pump the seawater out and fill in some fresh water.. props, anodes and all protectec at one go??
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2024, 18:51   #27

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Using the bags does work. Even for months [ left it this way for 2 months for overseas travel]. The bags exclude new organisms from entering to foul the prop, and also cut down on the oxygen in the trapped water, so the environment around the prop is less life supportive.

As to why people don't do it more often, I really can't say. It's never been a secret. I think some might be deterred by not knowing how to set it up to be removed safely from the boat without diving it when you're ready to leave. (We rigged an uphaul line.) And of course, there are some anchorages where it would take a life or death kind of emergency for me to go in--just too foul with biologicals and heavy metals--or a known bull shark population. Lots of reasons to avoid diving some places.

We always used to wait for the near the top of the tide for prop cleaning, to ensure the cleanest water with the better visibility.

Ann
How do I set the plastic bag up with a release line?
I have Flex-o-fold folding props, does that work there too?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propeller, rope