Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2021, 08:46   #1

Propeller type?

Fixed, feathering or folding? On a 45ft monohull which would be 'best'. My understanding is that fixed props cause drag and gearbox wear, but are cheaper and need almost no maintenance. Feathering have a lot less drag and can be more efficient in reverse, but need the most maintenance. Folding have the least drag, need some maintenance but are less efficient.
What do you have and how good do you feel it is?
MurrayAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 09:06   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Propeller type?

We’ve currently got feathering (folder won’t fit in the aperture).

Given the option of feather/fold I’d never go back to a fixed (I like to sail)
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 09:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We’ve currently got feathering (folder won’t fit in the aperture).

Given the option of feather/fold I’d never go back to a fixed (I like to sail)
How much maintenance does it need?
Old 23-05-2021, 09:24   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayAtkinson View Post
How much maintenance does it need?

Annual greasing (unless we’re out cruising and the water is clear the I grease it at oil changes).

The greasing takes about 5 minutes.

Other than that, keeping an anode on it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 09:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayAtkinson View Post
Fixed, feathering or folding? On a 45ft monohull which would be 'best'. My understanding is that fixed props cause drag and gearbox wear, but are cheaper and need almost no maintenance. Feathering have a lot less drag and can be more efficient in reverse, but need the most maintenance. Folding have the least drag, need some maintenance but are less efficient.
What do you have and how good do you feel it is?
A lot can depend on the particular combination of boat and engine, and sailor. What follows are my experiences with a lot of different boats...

On my last two boats I have had Max-Props, and have been very happy with them. I assume other feathering props would be essentially the same. Despite the general belief, I have not seen a huge improvement in reverse behavior when going from a fixed prop to a feathering one. I wouldn't count on this, if it is a key point in your decision.

I also have a lot of experience with Autoprops, and folding props.

In my opinion (worth what you paid for it!) folding props are for racing boats. The difference in drag between folding and feathering is trivial unless you are really looking for a few seconds per mile around the buoys. Reverse handling with a folder is difficult. NOT impossible, but it is a significant handicap.

Maintenance on my feathering prop consists of greasing it once a year or two. Not exactly a big deal especially if you have the boat hauled anyway. Folding props are not "maintenance free" either. they wear and need repairs and fixing.

Autoprops are a special case of feathering props. I have driven exactly the same boat/engine combination with a Max-prop and an Autoprop. The difference was hugely... invisible.

Autoprops are more susceptible to problems caused by fouling, and more of a hassle to take care of. I found the Autoprop to show a little bit more prop walk, and a bit of a sluggish response in close quarters maneuvering. Not a big deal, but certainly no better than the standard feathering prop. Not worth it--in my opinion--for the average cruising boat. IF you are a big fan of motor sailing, or if you spend a lot of time motoring at significantly less than normal cruising RPM, it might be a benefit, but those are kind of special cases.

If I had a fixed prop on a new-to-me boat, I'd swap if for a feathering prop. If I had an Autoprop, I'd keep it as-is. If said boat came with a folding prop, I'd PROBABLY swap it for a feathering prop, but that's a close thing because of the costs involved.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 10:00   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

I have had both a feathering (MaxProp) and a folding (FlexOFold). I like the folding a lot better for performance, plus it has 0 maintenance. At the time I was deciding the FOF was $1000 less than a Maxprop
Old 23-05-2021, 10:15   #7

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I good folding prop like FoF is actually more efficient than any flat-bladed feathering prop in driving the boat forward.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 10:43   #8

Thank you, that is a very comprehensive summary.... we definitely have no intention of racing and try to sail rather than motor sail as much as possible. I guess the choice is between a flex o fold and the max prop, but I suspect the fof may not fit as the rudder might be too close....

Tags
propeller, rope