Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 17:33   #1

Boat: Pheon Yachts Vancouver 32
Question: Propeller for Bukh Saildrive

Hi guys,

I have a Bukh DV36 with Bukh saildrive. I was unable to get the propeller off to change the zinc and so was the mechanic at the yard. And I can't seem to find a source where I could order a 16-inch 2 or 3 bladed fixed prop that will fit my Bukh saildrive, so I can't cut it up.
Alternatively, is there a chance that Volvo and Yanmar Props are compatible with my Bukh saildrive?
Appreciate your help or ideas!
akny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 02:26   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Question: Propeller for Bukh Saildrive

Welcome aboard CF, akny although I note you came aboard some time ago but thanks for posting now .

I can't help directly so this is more of a bump for your question however allow me to suggest to keep trying to remove the old prop.

Use plenty of heat, a good puller and two hammers. Get it hot, really hot, apply plenty of tension with the puller and smack both sides of the boss with the hammers simultaneously.

Keep going until it pops off, i.e. more heat and heavier hammer blows.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 15:33   #3

Thanks for your reply and advice. Agreed, more heat, force, and a bigger hammer usually solve the problem opcorn, but i just had another idea
I do have a metal grounding plate. Why can't I just tap a hull zinc onto the grounding plate and leave the saildrive zinc and propeller alone? Appreciate your comments and advice.
Old 15-05-2018, 23:26   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akny View Post
Thanks for your reply and advice. Agreed, more heat, force, and a bigger hammer usually solve the problem opcorn, but i just had another idea
I do have a metal grounding plate. Why can't I just tap a hull zinc onto the grounding plate and leave the saildrive zinc and propeller alone? Appreciate your comments and advice.
Two bigger hammers is the key here and used in unison!

If your metal grounding plate and sail drive are well bonded together inside the hull, it might work but one day you will need to get the prop off for some reason or another and you might not have suitable resources or time when that day comes. Murphy usually ensures that it will be more inconvenient on that day!

Still, sometimes you gotta roll with the boat maintenance fairies...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 20:06   #5

Thanks again Wotname. Drinks on me next time I'm down under
I can't find a prop for a Bukh saildrive in this country on the quick, so i'm really just looking for a temporary solution. And there is no sure way to avoid Murphy anyway, if I recall correctly
Wish that someone could jump in and tell me that a Volvo or Yanmar prop will fit just fine on the Bukh saildrive. They are readily available

Tags
bukh, propeller, rope, sail, saildrive