Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2022, 06:45   #61

Re: Raymarine Linear Drive M81130 Not Releasing

Great thread. I am pretty sure I have the same issue. However i am struggling to get the spindle out. i did exactly how you described but pushing the actuator arm in does not make the raceway and bearing washers come out. did i miss something? do i need to unscrew the rod end with the ball or the plastic grummet in order to do so?

any feedback is highly appreciated.

many thanks
best

lenny
.lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2022, 17:06   #62

Boat: Ericson 36C

Hi Lenny,

that is testing my memory :-) I don't recall having to do that. I just re-read the thread to remind myself and on post 27 I just say a little presure on pushing the arm in popped the raceway and bearing washers out, so maybe it was quite a bit of pressure, but also in the previous post I was wondering about helping it with a screwdriver so perhaps it was a combination of that and the pressure to release whatever seal is holding it.

Hope that helps.

Mark.
markmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2022, 05:35   #63

Thanks for getting back to me after all these years

I got the first two parts off but cannot get the spindle to come out further in order to inspect the middle washer with the spiral pin and the second raceway washer and roller assembly. I can move the spindle just a little bit back and forth, maybe 1 mm. The first roller assembly looks terrible, just like the one on your posted picture. The rollers fall out and cannot be put back due to the cage being damaged. Needs to be replaced for sure.

I feel some resistance when trying to pull the spindle out of the ram and pushing the actuator arm in at the same time. That's why I have been very careful so far. Also now after trying for so long the actuator moves much easier than before. So now when I push the arm in, it does like it should but does not help to get the spindle out. However I want to service the whole thrust bearing to be done with it.

I just don't understand why the spindle would come out just like that? Shouldn't it be held in place by the ball nut?

In your post you mentioned that you were fortuned that the actuator arm was in the middle position, so the balls could not fall out. Where would the balls fall out if the rubber grummet is still in place?

Many thanks for your help.
best,

lenny
Old 29-12-2022, 17:52   #64

Hi Lenny,

yes it sounds like the thrust bearing is shot and needs replacing, and yes you should do both while you are at it. I have had no trouble with mine since the repair.

Perhaps there is some dirt or crud jamming the spindle so it wont move further out. By the sound of it moving more freeely you may have dislodged some of the crud but there may be more. I don't think there is anything really holding it in. Perhps a little more gentle persistence and/or lubricant might help. Maybe upload a photo of where you are at to make sure I am on the same page.

By rubber grommet do you mean #35 on the diagram I had uploaded (if it is not still accessible I can re-upload). Once you get the thrust bearing assembly clear of the housing the balls can come out from behind, as I recall.

I am travelling at the moment and am away from the boat but I think I have most of the info with me, ie diagram etc, so I will try to help if I can.

Regards,
Mark.
Old 30-12-2022, 08:01   #65

Hi Mark,

So nice that you are willing to help me out. The Raymarine service hotline is pushing me to send it in to the UK to have it serviced for almost 1000€.

I lubricated the spindle by spraying it with wd40 which flushed out some dirt but now it seems that most of the loose dirt is out.
By moving more freely I meant that before I opened up the drive and removed the first two parts of the thrust bearing (raceway washer and roller assembly) I could move the actuator in and out which was hardly possible before.

When I try to push the arm in, it just spins the spindle. I also tried to hold the spindle so it wouldn't turn and push at the same time, but did not do anything.

I also uploaded a foto here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...lbums6227.html

I have the technical drawing. My drive is the type 2 long but from what I understand all linear drives are mechanically the same, just the motor is stronger.

Yes, I was talking about #35. Was wondering if that needs to come off for disassembly.

Thank you!

Best regards,
simon
Old 02-01-2023, 18:03   #66

Hi Simon,

I can't see anything that could possibly be holding it in. Are you able to pull the whole linear drive module (#29) away from the plate (#25)? Try twisting it a bit.

In the close up view you loaded it looks like there is something in the raceway but I can't tell if it is an illusion or if it is a protrusion/recession. It wont take much to stop the washer coming out as there is not much clearance, could it be ceased in there? I suspect there may be corrosion in there just grabbing it.

Aso the screw hole in the closeup doen't look clear, did ll the screws come out (#17) - I assume they must have if you got the mount (#18) off.

Mark.

Tags
linear drive, marine, raymarine