Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 16:42   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Rebuilding an autopilot hydraulic ram or just replace?

You are right about the price of $400. being low. I checked out the octopus and Defender has the pump and actuator listed. Some are about $3,000. Now that is with the pump. Give Defender a call and see what price their closest match is.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 17:42   #17

This is what most closely resembles ours....the aluminum, not the brass model.....

http://images.jamestowndistributors....arge/12231.jpg
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 17:49   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Could be Lecombe and Schmitt from France.
Old 12-06-2014, 18:09   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Try Sea Star Solutions. It seems they used to be(?) Teleflex.
Old 12-06-2014, 18:15   #20

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I'm still trying to get my head around this chromed steel thing on a marine (I assume?) hydraulic cylinder. My Ultraflex cylinders were the least expensive marine units I could find yet they have stainless rods as doTeleflex and Seafirst. If yours are not stainless then I would certainly opt for a new unit that is, rather than a re-chromed one. Also, it would be worth investigating why your rod has grooves and rough spots. Was it rough handling or is there something in the system causing this?

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 18:27   #21

Boat: Seafarer36c

You do realize that chrome is a better surface than stainless right?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 05:49   #22

Rebuilding an autopilot hydraulic ram or just replace?

Old 13-06-2014, 05:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I'm still trying to get my head around this chromed steel thing on a marine (I assume?) hydraulic cylinder. My Ultraflex cylinders were the least expensive marine units I could find yet they have stainless rods as doTeleflex and Seafirst. If yours are not stainless then I would certainly opt for a new unit that is, rather than a re-chromed one. Also, it would be worth investigating why your rod has grooves and rough spots. Was it rough handling or is there something in the system causing this?

From what I understand, even the SS rods are chromed since it is smoother, tougher and more corrosion resistant than plain SS. I'm sure the rod I have is either SS or rolled steel inside. Since the boat and the unit are relatively new to me and the unit was resealed in Spring of 2013 it's hard to say what caused the groove. Nothing is stored near the unit....if something abrasive managed to get under the berth and got stuck in the residue of the hydraulic oil on the rod I suppose it is feasible that it rode under the seal making the groove and ruining the seal.
Old 13-06-2014, 05:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Try Sea Star Solutions. It seems they used to be(?) Teleflex.

That photo is actually a Teleflex/Seastar stock photo...
Old 13-06-2014, 06:11   #25

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by motaman9 View Post
This is what most closely resembles ours....the aluminum, not the brass model.....

http://images.jamestowndistributors....arge/12231.jpg
If that is your unit, new ones range in price from $395-$425 (in the US - you don't state where you are, so maybe they are really expensive elsewhere).

I'm just curious why you are pursuing the rebuild of your existing damaged one for $375? I mean, I am REALLY curious…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 07:13   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If that is your unit, new ones range in price from $395-$425 (in the US - you don't state where you are, so maybe they are really expensive elsewhere).

I'm just curious why you are pursuing the rebuild of your existing damaged one for $375? I mean, I am REALLY curious…

Mark

Well, the $463 price I found online doesn't seem to be representative of what a I end up being quoted once I get a dealer on the phone. I'm also having issues with Seastar's Hydraulic shop customer service. It's like pulling teeth to get a straight answer or a part number for what would replace the rod on our current unit. They have been less than helpful, I spent all day yesterday emailing with them and I STILL don't have a part number......
Old 14-06-2014, 07:30   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by motaman9 View Post
Well, the $463 price I found online doesn't seem to be representative of what a I end up being quoted once I get a dealer on the phone. I'm also having issues with Seastar's Hydraulic shop customer service. It's like pulling teeth to get a straight answer or a part number for what would replace the rod on our current unit. They have been less than helpful, I spent all day yesterday emailing with them and I STILL don't have a part number......
I seriously doubt you will get a replacement rod from the company. If even possible, the cost will be so high as to make a new ram a better choice. This is the way of all industries - if you try to build something from parts, it costs way more than new.

I think your problem is trying to go through a "dealer" who sells and installs systems. If you are in the US, go here (for example): Teleflex "SeaStar" Hydraulic Steering Cylinders - Inboard - Hydraulic Steering - Engine Systems - Downwind Marine

Put it in your cart, press "buy" and have it shipped to you.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 14-06-2014, 08:20   #28

Quote:
I seriously doubt you will get a replacement rod from the company. If even possible, the cost will be so high as to make a new ram a better choice. This is the way of all industries - if you try to build something from parts, it costs way more than new.

I think your problem is trying to go through a "dealer" who sells and installs systems. If you are in the US, go here (for example): Teleflex "SeaStar" Hydraulic Steering Cylinders - Inboard - Hydraulic Steering - Engine Systems - Downwind Marine

Put it in your cart, press "buy" and have it shipped to you.

Mark

I'm seriously considering that option.......the local shop has thrown me a curve, in that, they said the working stroke of my unit is 12"....which is MUCH longer than what Seastar currently manufactures. I'm going to the shop Monday to verify that and make sure they aren't measuring the entire rod. If it is 12" I would either to have to re-engineer the mounting....not gonna happen....or rebuild my unit. I'll keep you posted.....
Old 14-06-2014, 08:43   #29

The working stroke is from full in to full out. It will be mounted approximately half of that distance when connected at center rudder.

The model you list has a 10" stroke. Seastar also makes longer stroke models - are you sure the one you posted is your model?

Mark

Old 14-06-2014, 10:40   #30

Quote:
The working stroke is from full in to full out. It will be mounted approximately half of that distance when connected at center rudder.

The model you list has a 10" stroke. Seastar also makes longer stroke models - are you sure the one you posted is your model?

Mark

I am basing that model number on the bore 1.5" and the rod size of 3/8" ....I have seen some with longer stroke but not matching those proportions.....

Tags
autopilot, rebuild