Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2014, 03:50   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Rebuilding an Autopilot Hydraulic Ram or just Replace?

+1 on replace with a new complete unit.

Refurbing the rod is going to be challenging, and likely not cheap, the slightest imperfection and it won't work properly/leak. And if the rod is bad off then what about other parts?

If you machine the old rod to smooth it out, as considered in one post, then you will need to use non-standard sized seals. That's going to be a PITA when you need to replace seals and can't just go with the standard seal kit.

The rods on my Seastars are still in great shape after 14 years so a new unit, properly maintained, will last a long time...an old unit refurbed who knows?

Rods on mine are stainless. In that case, you could have a whole new rod machined, but again probably a significant % of new unit price.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 08:38   #32

Replacement seems to be the best way to handle this.....I'm still researching the models to be certain I am getting an apples to apples swap. Thanks to everyone for your input.....I'll keep you posted
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 15:50   #33

I lucked out....I got my ram back from the local shop and shipped it to Fluid Technologies in Jacksonville, FL. Very nice people BTW. Betsy put me in touch with Mike who managed to identify my cylinder. This model was discontinued around 2006 but Fluid Technologies buys a lot of spare parts when units are discontinued for just such circumstances, so they had two replacement rods, seals and glands in their inventory. They rebuilt the unit for $250 and sold me the spare rod for $100 with a set of seals and glands. They pressure tested it to 1,000lbs and it worked perfectly. Thanks for all of the input and if it works in other than a perfect manner I'll be sure post the results here!!! Thanks.....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-06-2014, 16:06   #34

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Now that you have a spare rod, glands and seal set, the unit will work perfectly for the next 400 years. Those spares will turn out to be the best $100 you ever wasted - these things are too afraid to break when you are prepared…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 18:31   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

True, I've had several things quit giving me trouble after loading up on spares.

Just replaced all the seals on both my rams and loaded up on spares...should not have to do that again for a long time.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 19:01   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Now that you have a spare rod, glands and seal set, the unit will work perfectly for the next 400 years. Those spares will turn out to be the best $100 you ever wasted - these things are too afraid to break when you are prepared…

Mark

Let's hope!!! Thanks !! I'll just consider that $100 a cheap insurance policy .....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
autopilot, rebuild