Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2018, 15:30   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Reduction gear, prop size and draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
But then again, neutral and reverse is nice. ;-)

You can still have neutral and reverse without gear reduction, need a gear box if you will.
Looking at that motor and set up, it belongs on the farm, running an irrigation pump, not on a boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 09:27   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Without wanting to sound snotty, the term "agricultural" comes to mind when viewing that setup. Probably won't see too many of them at the big boat shows, hanging from the stern of fancy yachts!

Lots of vulnerable iron mongery dangling from the engine and mounts.

not my idea of good practice, but ymmv.

Jim
Looks similar to units used to propel barges. But not as stout. and more complex. The ones I'm thing of were generally 671s and the engines sat on desk.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 06:48   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can still have neutral and reverse without gear reduction, need a gear box if you will.
Looking at that motor and set up, it belongs on the farm, running an irrigation pump, not on a boat.
"Direct Drive" implies no gearbox.

A device between the engine output shaft and prop shaft that can decouple or reverse the direction of shaft rotation, is not direct drive.

Perhaps what you are referring to is a gear box with 1:1 ratio. This is not "Direct Drive".
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 16:27   #34
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
"Direct Drive" implies no gearbox.

A device between the engine output shaft and prop shaft that can decouple or reverse the direction of shaft rotation, is not direct drive.

Perhaps what you are referring to is a gear box with 1:1 ratio. This is not "Direct Drive".
I concur and as Atoll posted, the only way to get reverse with direct drive is to have a prop that allows for a full pitch reversal (or engine that will run "backwards").
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:09   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I concur and as Atoll posted, the only way to get reverse with direct drive is to have a prop that allows for a full pitch reversal (or engine that will run "backwards").
I've seen one that ran backwards. When the wheelhouse rang for reverse the oiler would have to manually change cams with a lever and restart her, same for forward.
Old 01-08-2018, 16:13   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Reduction gear, prop size and draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I've seen one that ran backwards. When the wheelhouse rang for reverse the oiler would have to manually change cams with a lever and restart her, same for forward.

I think BIG Diesels are that way also.
Back in the 70’s I think Harley Davidson made golf carts, they were two stroke with a belt driven torque converter, like on a snow machine.
Anyway to go in reverse, you took your foot off of the gas pedal, the motor stopped and you flipped a lever, this made the starter, which was also a generator and was engaged continuously run backwards and switched the engine to fire on a second set of points. It ran perfectly fine backwards, or forwards.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 16:29   #37

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

I know BIG diesels are that way.

There is no gearbox on a container ship. Often there is no controllable pitch prop either.

You want ahead, start the engine. You want astern? Stop the engine, wait for it to stop turning, shift the cam, blow down in the opposite direction.

There is no neutral either. But there is quite often a huge directly driven generator that outputs something on the order of 5 megawatts at 80 rpm.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 17:07   #38

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I know BIG diesels are that way.

There is no gearbox on a container ship. Often there is no controllable pitch prop either.

You want ahead, start the engine. You want astern? Stop the engine, wait for it to stop turning, shift the cam, blow down in the opposite direction.

There is no neutral either. But there is quite often a huge directly driven generator that outputs something on the order of 5 megawatts at 80 rpm.
No transmission, no gear box, they must rely totally on tugs OR perhaps this big diesel drives a reversible electric motor.
Old 01-08-2018, 18:03   #39

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
No transmission, no gear box, they must rely totally on tugs OR perhaps this big diesel drives a reversible electric motor.

The serial hybrid diesel electric ships use medium speed engines, not the large slow turning 2-stoke engines.

At low speeds the huge ships are surprisingly agile. But still must have tugs to be berthed.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 23:54   #40

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
I "visited" am old boat with a one cylinder, air start motor. No reduction gear, no transmission. It had a manual variable pitch prop, controlled by a hand crank.
It had a mast for sailing, he removed it, put on a hollow tube to hold FW for heating.
Was interesting.

I would be very interested in seeing the manual CP prop. Wouldn't mind having one for my upcoming build.
Old 01-08-2018, 23:55   #41

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
in the old days they just stopped the engine and restarted it in the opposite direction ,quite easy to do with compressed air start

as technology moved on controllable variable pitch propellors became more common ,allowing the engine and prop shaft to run at set revs and the blades of the propellor rotated in the hub to go from forward thrust ,feathered to reverse thrust,this also allowed adjustment of pitch for differing sea conditions.
with exhaust temperature indicating the load on the engine.
Ships still do that. Direct drive, slow speed diesel, no reduction or reversing gear. Very common.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:15   #42

Quote:
Back in the 70’s I think Harley Davidson made golf carts, they were two stroke with a belt driven torque converter, like on a snow machine.
Anyway to go in reverse, you took your foot off of the gas pedal, the motor stopped and you flipped a lever, this made the starter, which was also a generator and was engaged continuously run backwards and switched the engine to fire on a second set of points. It ran perfectly fine backwards, or forwards.
Yes, I was referring to a reasonably big old diesel. I forgot about the Harley golf cart, a neighbor had for running around his small farm, that reversed that way.

Tags
draft, gear, size