Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2008, 15:10   #31

Boat: Hanse 531
Same problem

Hi,
I have a Hanse 531 with a Gori porpeller and I am experiencing th e same problems. Speed limit aprox 8.3 and a lot of vibration with a very hard wheel at that speed. I belive that such a vibration can create damages to the hull a to the shaft.
Thankyou for the very appasionate informations.
Francesco
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 16:38   #32

you are not alone

Dear Francesco

I´m very sorry to hear that.

What happened to you, happened to me..... and to some many other buyers, we were thinking HANSE knows what they were doing. They were not!

Their replies were astonishing, like:

a) That happens only in Spain

b) You are the only one reporting those problems

c) We never heard about vibrations before

I can offer you free assistance, You may not need to put a V strut like the one on the pics posted here before.

I have designed the fix of a HANSE 630 with similar problems.

I´m enclosing here two pics with the solution.

The repair was made in Barcelona again, is cheaper that the V strut. but shaft, cv joint, bearings, need all to be changed and the engine has to be hoisted on his room and realigned on its vibration mounts.

But anyway you will need to change your propeller as the Gori is not appropiate for you yacht.

After this repair you can barely hear the engine at 2000 rpm outside and you will get no vibration at 3300 rpm . The yacht will peak 9 knots at 3300- 3500 rpm with a suitable folding prop without any ¨överdrive¨.

I´m still wearing the AUTOPROP: I can't recommend this propeller as it is not practical , you need to clean the prop every month as it is very sensible to organic growth.

I can recommend other propellers that theorically can perform as good as the AUTOPROP without the problems associated.

You can leave the yatch as is now, but if you are along range cruiser community , this will break your nerves up.

The hull will not be damaged, The epoxy Hanse hull is the best think in this Yacht but the SS shaft, Cv joint, and last but nor least the cutlass bearings will all be damaged sooner or later.

The most sensitive part is the last (deadwood mount) cutlass bearing, this vibration will eat this bearing in two months, worsening the shaft vibration like a feedback.

Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
Hi,
I have a Hanse 531 with a Gori porpeller and I am experiencing th e same problems. Speed limit aprox 8.3 and a lot of vibration with a very hard wheel at that speed. I belive that such a vibration can create damages to the hull a to the shaft.
Francesco
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deadwoodstrut.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	5651   Click image for larger version

Name:	deadwoodstrut ready.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	5652  

jose r vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 16:57   #33

Hard Wheel

Dear francesco

I have forgot to say the hard wheel problem is caused by several issues.

1.- Innapropiate size and pitch of the Gori prop.

2.- The propeller is too close to the deadwood skeg, putting the prop farther away by adding some shaft lenght eliminates hard wheel and pulling to port side.

As a consequence the heavy prop walk is also fixed.

And the problems associated with tight quaters at the marinas are all gone as the propeller is closer to the Rudder.

That was my experience after the shaft refit.

Good luck

Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
Hi,
Francesco
Old 13-04-2009, 07:49   #34

Forum Friends

I'm receiving lately many e mails from sailors involved in problems with Hanse shafts and Gori and Autoprop problems. through cruisers forum and through other websites.

It seems I wasn't alone, this forum has proved to be invaluable for cruisers with problems.

Time proved my theories were right, Hanse owners should forget GORI prop as a folding prop option, and I can not recommend the AUTOPROP although I'm still wearing it after my extensive shaft refit. I'm still searching my kind-a-prop.

Hanse owners ( 531/540/630) with hull numbers manufactured from 2006 to 2008 should check , high vibration, shaft noise, water ingress though the gland, rust on the thrust bearing which can be blocked, shaft imbalance with early tear of the cutlass bearings, unstoppable shaft rotation on those with hydraulic transmission, and low performance under engine ( including smoke, lack of power and vessel control with head winds and low cruising speeds well below hull speed), before some of these problems could threaten the yacht security.

Other Hanse problems (sailing) are related to the Sparcraft mast/boom combination used in those yachts, but this is out of the scope of this thread.

It is shame that such a beautiful yachts have such a poor engineering.

ZENCAP