If you use a split hub - it has to be fit and faced first 1 100.00%
If you use a split hub - it doesn't have to be fit and faced 0 0%
If you use a split hub - you can reuse it if need down the road 1 100.00%
If you use a split hub - you still need to replace it each time 0 0%
A split hub is worth the etxra money. 1 100.00%
I split hub isn't worth the extra money. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2013, 15:05   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Replacing Shaft Hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

So all the thought, worry and concern were of no use!
The school of hard knocks!
Old 26-03-2013, 18:49   #17

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I have the solid couplers and they are now a smooth fit over the shafts.
I think when you tighten up the locking bolts, the shaft may slightly distort making it tougher to get off. Add in years of rusting = just about impossible to get apart. Mine were very tight. To get apart I got long bolts and put a metal socket between the hubs and forced them apart as the bolts were tightened. And I used a propane torch. And I used PB blaster. And I thought something would break as I tightened up the grade 8 bolts.

For assembly, I lightly sanded the hub insides and just greased and slipped them together. And they have been fine for the last 5 years. You really want a sliding slip fit. Imagine trying to whack a too tight hub back on and damaging something. I think it is good to keep some heavy sticky grease all over the hubs where shaft meets hub etc....

The work boat fisherman guys here like the split hubs. One side has bolts which squeeze down on the shaft. Comes apart fairly easy and you always get a tight hub to shaft fitment.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 23:28   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I have the solid couplers and they are now a smooth fit over the shafts.
I think when you tighten up the locking bolts, the shaft may slightly distort making it tougher to get off. Add in years of rusting = just about impossible to get apart. Mine were very tight. To get apart I got long bolts and put a metal socket between the hubs and forced them apart as the bolts were tightened. And I used a propane torch. And I used PB blaster. And I thought something would break as I tightened up the grade 8 bolts.

For assembly, I lightly sanded the hub insides and just greased and slipped them together. And they have been fine for the last 5 years. You really want a sliding slip fit. Imagine trying to whack a too tight hub back on and damaging something. I think it is good to keep some heavy sticky grease all over the hubs where shaft meets hub etc....

The work boat fisherman guys here like the split hubs. One side has bolts which squeeze down on the shaft. Comes apart fairly easy and you always get a tight hub to shaft fitment.
If one dimples the shaft, by drilling down thru the screw holes. The shaft will not distort.
Fisherman are not always the best mechanics. fitment is determined by clearances. A loose fit can throw out the face tolerances.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3583.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	58217