Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2022, 13:01   #1

Replacing the detoriorated rubber around the prop

Hi,

I have my boat on the hard and the rubber between the prop and the hull has detoriorated and is coming away. This was noted on the survey last year but it has worsened.

A simple question - do I need to care about this? The quote to fix it is 215 euros.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 8.54.31 PM.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	253429   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 8.54.43 PM.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	253430  

colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 13:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Replacing the detoriorated rubber around the prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo View Post
Hi,

I have my boat on the hard and the rubber between the prop and the hull has detoriorated and is coming away. This was noted on the survey last year but it has worsened.

A simple question - do I need to care about this? The quote to fix it is 215 euros.

Thanks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27415173830...QAAOSwqp5d-6qz

https://www.svb24.com/en/gasket-for-...aildrives.html
you can find on market under 20€
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 14:21   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

You say that your surveyor noted this issue. Did HE say that it was anything to worry about? He's the presumed expert who looked at it first-hand.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 15:18   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380

I have these too. Covered with a inch thick layer of barnacles. I think its just a house for hard growth.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 16:07   #5

215 euro. Yes, maintain your vessel.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 17:21   #6

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

nice to have but quite unnecessary. bit of streamlining is all...

been none on our boat for years

if you do decide to replace e215 sounds fair. they are quite difficult to glue on.

cheers,
Old 23-02-2022, 23:08   #7

That keeps the ocean in the proper side of the boat i believe. Sail drives are pretty cool except that part always seemed kind of scary to me. But that's an impression of someone who has never had one. There are certainly many of them installed. Also it's a single source type of situation so you're such with whatever they charge. As long as they start in business you can get parts.
ric14854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 23:19   #8

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric14854 View Post
That keeps the ocean in the proper side of the boat i believe. Sail drives are pretty cool except that part always seemed kind of scary to me. But that's an impression of someone who has never had one. There are certainly many of them installed. Also it's a single source type of situation so you're such with whatever they charge. As long as they start in business you can get parts.
take it from someone who has owned many saildrives. the outer seal is never intended to be watertight...it's simply to fair off the hole in the hull

it's the inner seal that keeps the water out. i'm sure some inner seals have leaked somewhere, but never on one of my boats

cheers,
Old 24-02-2022, 12:56   #9

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
May not be the only cover to seal out the Water.
But with sail drives, I'd want to inspect fully the inner seal to the boat.
What's the planned repair involve?
Hope it's just not "Puckied back on"?
Mechanical fasteners,?
Good advise to check it out further.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 14:06   #10

Boat: Hanse 430e

I call it the Saildrive Diaper. Its not watertight and its not hard to change. Well its not always hard to change but you have a fixed prop that will have to come off.

Buy a new one and the recommended adhesive. Sika 291i will work.

So peel and cut the old one off. Set the new one out in the sun to soften it up. Remove prop. clean the mounting surface by sanding it smooth and wipe it down with acetone. Put the glue/sealant on the hull. Pull the new diaper over the saildrive and stick it in place. Press it all around to even out the sealant and make a good seal. A little hard wooden roller helps. reinstall prop. open cold drink and marvel t your hard work looking at it from many angles.

Easy peasy
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 05:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
You say that your surveyor noted this issue. Did HE say that it was anything to worry about? He's the presumed expert who looked at it first-hand.

Bob
Good shout, thanks Bob. I got in touch with him and he said its purely cosmetic and certainly not worth 215 euros.
Old 25-02-2022, 05:03   #12

Thanks to everyone for your input. There was no option to do the work personally, as the boatyard in Spain hit me with the proviso that only official, insured boathands can work in the yard.

Hence it was 215 euros or do it next year. The surveyor has said not to worry about it and redo it next year. The only risk being it perishes entirely, but thanks to the first reply, its clear they can be bought cheaply anyway.

Decision made. Ta.
Old 25-02-2022, 07:57   #13
cruiser

Hola,

I realize that you have made a decision and the issue is resolved but if it matters I have had two saildrives for the last three years operating without these in place. And when I bought the boat three years ago they didn’t exist so I am not sure how long they have been missing. When I sanded the hull down to barrier coat, and removed saildrives to replace the inner/outer diaphragms, I had to sand off the old adhesive so they apparently existed at some point in the boats life. I have had no issues whatsoever, although I am told they are supposed to streamline the hull so maybe I am losing a little speed, and I actually prefer not having them installed so when I dive my hull I can easily clean inside the saildrive apertures.

I have attached a picture from survey and you can see the presence of old adhesive and the absence of hull fairing seal.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75E6851C-8DD4-4DEF-8BEC-A2205AEA2A72.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	253564  
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 08:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
Hola,

I realize that you have made a decision and the issue is resolved but if it matters I have had two saildrives for the last three years operating without these in place. And when I bought the boat three years ago they didn’t exist so I am not sure how long they have been missing. When I sanded the hull down to barrier coat, and removed saildrives to replace the inner/outer diaphragms, I had to sand off the old adhesive so they apparently existed at some point in the boats life. I have had no issues whatsoever, although I am told they are supposed to streamline the hull so maybe I am losing a little speed, and I actually prefer not having them installed so when I dive my hull I can easily clean inside the saildrive apertures.

I have attached a picture from survey and you can see the presence of old adhesive and the absence of hull fairing seal.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb

Thanks Jeb. That makes me more comfortable in the decision. As I started reading I was concerned this was going to be a horror story and cause a need to revisit the plan haha
Old 27-02-2022, 18:31   #15

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Those gasket are usually changed every 5 to 7 years.
It is usually part of the regular maintenance schedule.

This one of the reason I stay away from Sail drives
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote