Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2010, 19:22   #16

Boat: Hunter 33' "Redbeard"
SUCCESS!!!!! After grinding off both sides of the bolts heating and tapping through the first, the other three only needed the head cut off and tapped through without too much torch needed! I want to thank everyone for the responses, the various techniques worked well together and to be quite honest i dont know if i would have had the balls to dissect it without some online assurance! I'm still amazed at how quickly i get responses and how knowledgable everyone on this forum is, thanks again for now and thanks in advance for the inevitable future posts
Old 15-12-2010, 21:27   #17

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
uh huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If the coupler is really rusty, getting it off would damage it any way. So might as well cut it off by grinding a slot down opposite sides almost to the shaft and then put in a chisel and split the coupler. The rest you can get later. What remains on the shaft can be split also.

If the shaft is worn or bent you can just cut the shaft behind the coupler. Then buy a new shaft.

BTW if that's a 1" shaft I have a new yanmar coupler in my garage I'll sell at half price.I have some extra shafts too.

And some stuffing boxes........http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ngs-49285.html
And now the price of stainless fasteners has skyrocketed! Extra stainless shafts? spare couplers? I'll wager Trix will not float on her lines (but will not rust!) Rather, she will be put on display down at SAM as modern art.
The Hunt Brothers could not corner the market on natural gas but you have single handedly managed a greater feat.

How's that deck coming?

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 22:17   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
And now the price of stainless fasteners has skyrocketed! Extra stainless shafts? spare couplers? I'll wager Trix will not float on her lines (but will not rust!) Rather, she will be put on display down at SAM as modern art.

I wouldn't go that far.
How's that deck coming?

Todd
Got the hull to deck joint sealed and faired but only got about 20' glassed over w/one layer before the cold weather stopped all progress.
But did get a new oversized stern tube installed.

Don't want to hijack the thread.
Old 16-12-2010, 13:08   #19

Boat: Colvic Watson
I have spent many hours trying to get my own flexable coupling off so excuse me for asking but I trust you have undone any 'grub scews' in the coupling halve that locks the coupling to the shaft (the halve nearest aft??)

My coupling is differant but also on a 1" shaft but there are 3 'grub screws' locking it to the shaft.

Your stern rubber tube looks a horror also, so replace that also when you get it off as its the most important connection on any boat, also there should be 'double jubilee clips' if possible on the stern tube rubber!

PS: The stern tube rubber is NOT normal rubber piping, but proper stern tube rubber which in my case has a 3/8" wall.
Good luck

Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 18:33   #20
cruiser

Ive several times seen grub screws loosten and let the shaft pull out of the coupler. That is why I prefer a 5/16th stainless bolt right thru the shaft.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote