Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 18:11   #1

Boat: Morgan 323
Shaft length

Bought a 1971 32' Irwin as a fixer upper. Motored about fifty miles to have it hauled. No problems. The shaft is a little over a foot long and there is no strut. The original engine was an atomic four but was replaced with a universal diesel. Would the transmission be longer and cause the prop to be so far out. If you have a 32' on the hard, what is the length of the exposed shaft? Maybe I just need this one cut. Pacerow
pacerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 18:55   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Shaft length

You need to get the hacksaw out. Leave enough room for a zink and maybe a rope cutter.. Oh, plus 1/3 the cord of the prop...
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 19:34   #3

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

pacerow, it probably should look like this.

Old 01-05-2014, 19:34   #4

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I have read that the maximum recommended length from the strut or deadwood should be no more than 1.5 times the shaft diameter. However, there should be at least 10% of the prop diameter clearance between the prop blade tip and the hull of the boat.

That being said, I have seen props sticking out a foot or more from a strut with no apparent consequences.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 00:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 13m aluminium sloop

The longer the unsupported length past the cutless bearing, the higher the risk of vibrations or bending the shaft if the prop catches something.

If it is running smooth, you don't have a problem with it, so you can make a call.

I have designed high-efficiency motor yachts where I extended the stern tube out from the back of the keel and pushed the shaft out a little as well to get better, cleaner water to the propeller. If the shaft diameter is big enough and the whole system well aligned, balanced and engineered, no problem.
OceanSeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote