Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2015, 09:16   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Shaft turning while sailing, Perkins PRIMA 50M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Mike, I have a velvet drive also. I found a manual online for Chris Craft. It states "under sailing or slow trolling conditions one or both transmissions can be left spinning. The transmission was designed for this". That said my boat had a caliper disk brake with a starter lockout to prevent turning with the brake on. I used it because the noise from the shaft. Now I have a Max prop and took the brake caliper off.
Thanks ctl411, this is very helpful. It's what I've heard in the past regarding velvet transmissions, but as I say, it's always bothered me to hear the shaft turning while having a nice quiet sail. Our shaft is very difficult to reach, so any brake system would have to use a remote setup ... I'd love to install something like what you have. Perhaps a feathering prop would be best (if I could spare the cash), but I'll probably just put up with the small noise. As long as it's not doing any harm to the transmission I can probably live with it.
Old 16-09-2015, 09:50   #32

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Mike we had a big bucket of a 3 blade. Found a 2 blade max on eBay. Big difference in sailing at slower sailing speeds 5 knots and under.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 05:05   #33

Boat: South Coast 36

Great news guys, check this out, got a hold of a Manual and found what I been looking for, got to have a win every now an then.

Cheers

Shane & Tracey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12007032_10153285721386559_97031604_n[1].jpg
Views:	141
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	109197   Click image for larger version

Name:	12028936_10153287060351559_257517168_n[1].jpg
Views:	162
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	109198  

Sea Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 05:28   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks ctl411, this is very helpful. It's what I've heard in the past regarding velvet transmissions, but as I say, it's always bothered me to hear the shaft turning while having a nice quiet sail. Our shaft is very difficult to reach, so any brake system would have to use a remote setup ... I'd love to install something like what you have. Perhaps a feathering prop would be best (if I could spare the cash), but I'll probably just put up with the small noise. As long as it's not doing any harm to the transmission I can probably live with it.
Mike,

The Morgan has a remote lever/cable for the shaft lock... pretty simple setup... I've got a disk, but there's no reason you couldn't just make a simple bar/lever/lining to use as a brake? $30??? Probably doesn't need that much force, and forgetting to un-brake on start would be ok if you applied it just enough to stop the shaft? Maybe worth monkeying around with ??? (no offense to the salty one of course)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike's shaft brake.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	109199  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 05:29   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Scamp View Post
Great news guys, check this out, got a hold of a Manual and found what I been looking for, got to have a win every now an then.

Cheers

Shane & Tracey
AWESOME!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 10:16   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Mike,

The Morgan has a remote lever/cable for the shaft lock... pretty simple setup... I've got a disk, but there's no reason you couldn't just make a simple bar/lever/lining to use as a brake? $30??? Probably doesn't need that much force, and forgetting to un-brake on start would be ok if you applied it just enough to stop the shaft? Maybe worth monkeying around with ??? (no offense to the salty one of course)
Thanks Happy, this might work. I'll give it a try next season when we get away again.

Tags
perkins, sail, sailing