Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2012, 02:39   #1

Boat: Jeanneua 36
Shortening a Prop Shaft !!!!!!!

i want to cut a inch of the prop shaft suround and cutless bearing so i can get a standard shaft zinc on the shaft'shes a beneteua 411,any sugestions
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 03:00   #2

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33
Re: shortening a prop shaft !!!!!!!

Probably not a good idea to cut away the surround. If your shaft design does not allow a zinc to be fitted to the tail end and you are bound and determined to have a zinc on your shaft you could always get a slightly longer shaft fitted. Is there any reason you feel you need a zinc on the shaft? Has your propeller shown evidence of galvanic corrosion?
Old 18-02-2012, 14:40   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

If you have any room at all, have you thought about buying say 10 standard anodes and taking them to a machine shop to be shortened. If you spread the set-up cost over the 10 units then your cost per unit should be reasonable and you should have enough to last a while.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 23:09   #4

Boat: Jeanneua 36

you,s are both right;i have been getting anodes recut and probibly will carry on doing so;i fitted a kiwi prop some years ago(like it very mush)its about 2in. longer on the shaft then my old fixed prop so the end of my cutless bearing and shaft surround is pretty close to the aft end of the kiwi prop housing.thanks for your suggestions.i was thingking of putting a solid s/s plate inbetween the gearbox end and front of the shaft connection as its a solid plat against plate.t.y. again for your replys bill.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 23:41   #5
Marine Service Provider

Unless you want be replacing bearings more often and getting more noise and vibration, bearing length should be kept as it is. Gap from aft end of bearing to prop should be kept to a minimum for the same reason. (shaft OD is OK)

Fora soft mounted drive our worse case movement and clearance is 9.00mm forward movement and leave a 3.0mm gap for water to exit bearing. So make sure you have 12.00mm gap.

Hull anode might be the best option.
4HMainer is offline   Reply With Quote